Malteurop Pilsen Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbottdk

Reaction score
Is Malteurop Pilsen a modified malt? What are your thoughts about its flavour?

Is Malteurop Pilsen a modified malt? What are your thoughts about its flavour?

A bunch of us down here in Corio Bay Brewers bought quite a bit of it a while ago direct from the producer in Geelong. It is well modified, though I get a haze in mine even with a 30 minute protein rest, but other brewers did not. It lacks a bit of malt backbone to it, so if using it, add 500gm of munich to top it up.

Otherwise it is a good pilsen malt and we got it for $1/kg, so we were all very happy with it.

I stock the Malt Europe Pilsner and Ale as my standard base malts. Of the three (Joe White and Barrett Burstone) its the malt I prefer, I find it the most consistent and reliable, and yes its modified as is all malt, what I suspect the OP was asking was how well the answer to that is fully modified, just like any other well made modern malt.
F.J I suspect a 30 minute protein rest is more likely to cause haze problems than to fix them. If anything I think it might reduce the head forming potential of your beer to. With modern fully modified malt just make sure you have enough Calcium 75-100 ppm depending on your local water I find a bit of lactic acid and a touch of Zinc very helpful (Australian malt is often Zn deficient)
MHB

fellow Corio Bay Brewer here, i bought 1.5 ton of this for a bulk buy, zero complaints, i reckons its a real goer like John said for $1 a kilo

A bunch of us down here in Corio Bay Brewers bought quite a bit of it a while ago direct from the producer in Geelong. It is well modified, though I get a haze in mine even with a 30 minute protein rest, but other brewers did not. It lacks a bit of malt backbone to it, so if using it, add 500gm of munich to top it up.

Otherwise it is a good pilsen malt and we got it for $1/kg, so we were all very happy with it.
John I also was able to buy a bag at the same price. Do you know if any of the corio brewers used it to make english ales by adding something like munich to give it a more ale type flavour?
Doug

Sort of related, but BEST malt pilz malt is pretty good too. On a recent BB it was pretty cheap ( not $1/kg but not much more ), so i got it. Did 2 koelsh' with it, the first is drinking beautifully, the second is conditioning now.

John I also was able to buy a bag at the same price. Do you know if any of the corio brewers used it to make english ales by adding something like munich to give it a more ale type flavour?
Doug

There are a couple of members that almost exclusive use this malt due to its price and their beers have always been pretty good, even the english ales, but HoppinMad always makes his english ales with Maris Otter and they almost always win on comp nights, it is just a superior malt for that style.

MHB, even when I have no protein rest I get a haze, think there is something else wrong in my process, not sure what though, I adjust my chemistry, moniter the pH and adjust with lactic as needed etc. I do notice that I get no HOT break forming during boil though.

Latest posts

Back