Malt Sitting At The Bottom Of Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hijax

Reaction score
I was just doing an extract brew and totally forgot to mix the 2kg of malt. Ive pitched the yeast @ 20c and a lot of the malt extract is resting at the bottom.

What should i do??????????

Should i just try and stir it in more or will it ferment out ok anyway?

Bugger :(

Carefuly stir it to try to dissolve more of the malt. If fermentation has already kicked off, try to not splash the wort too much.

Just out of curiosity, why do recommend trying to not splash. It is cold and i thought yeast loves a bit of airation.

I'd leave it. I swear I never managed to get extract mixed properly but it always fermented out ok.

Just out of curiosity, why do recommend trying to not splash. It is cold and i thought yeast loves a bit of airation.

Only pre-fermentation. Once fermentation has started aeration can cause cardboardy flavours to come into your beer. That's why I made it dependent on whether the ferment has started or not.

Ok was just wondering. Because i have read a bit into 1469 yeast and a few people reccomend beating it at the start of fermentatin for a couple of days. Must just be for that yeast?

If you have only just pitched the yeast then I would stir the bejezus out of it to dissolve most of the malt.

Some of the English ale yeasts need a good beating each day during fermentation not sure which ones though probably ones designed for open vessel fermentation. Que BribieG and Yorkshire Square.

Depends on the yeast. With most ales I thrash the krausen back into the brew and aerate well for the first day (or two in the case of Wyeast West Yorkshire and Ringwood). skimmer.jpeg until the reproductive phase is over and the yeasties settle down to making alcohol.

If fermentation has occired swirl your fermener gently so that it doesnt splash to try and lift some of your malt...all in all though it should still end up fermenting at least most of it even if you havent mixed it thoroughly.
Malt is heavy and usually settles very quickly to the bottom even if it has been stirred before fermentation so don't sweat it too much.

Yet again thanks so much for the replys guys!

I ended up giving it a good mix and it seems to be ferementing out just fine. We see how it goes!

Thanks again!

Back