Malt Shovel Two Row Lager Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brizbrew

Reaction score
I am feeling pretty rusty at the moment and have not brewed a single thing for months and months, I need to ease back in to it and will be brewing a two can screamer of the malt shovel two row lager this Easter break.

I intend to buy two cans and basically do what it says on the tin with the exemption of temp control and maybe Secondary

I am thinking of fermenting at around 15C for 10 days and then transfering to cube for a fortnight at a lower temperature, maybe 10C???

I will then bulk prime and bottle, sit back and wait then enjoy.

Anyone got anything to add? Anything at all? All advice will be welcomed.

Brizbrew said:
I am feeling pretty rusty at the moment and have not brewed a single thing for months and months, I need to ease back in to it and will be brewing a two can screamer of the malt shovel two row lager this Easter break.

I intend to buy two cans and basically do what it says on the tin with the exemption of temp control and maybe Secondary

I am thinking of fermenting at around 15C for 10 days and then transfering to cube for a fortnight at a lower temperature, maybe 10C???

[post="119722"][/post]​

The yeast with the MSB lager kit is Saflager, so if you can keep your ferment temps around 12C you'll end up with a pretty tasty brew. It tends to throw fruity esters at those temps, but it's up to you. Do a diacetyl rest for a day or two then rack and drop the cube temp to as low as you can - preferably 1-4C for a month. If you want to do it with those temps try Safale US-56 - makes a very clean beer.

DJR said:
Brizbrew said:

[post="119722"][/post]​

The yeast with the MSB lager kit is Saflager, so if you can keep your ferment temps around 12C you'll end up with a pretty tasty brew. It tends to throw fruity esters at those temps, but it's up to you. Do a diacetyl rest for a day or two then rack and drop the cube temp to as low as you can - preferably 1-4C for a month. If you want to do it with those temps try Safale US-56 - makes a very clean beer.
[post="119760"][/post]​

I will get stuck in to this brew session over the Easter break, Two cans of the two row lager have been purchased and are ready to rock n roll.
Hope it tastes as good as some of the reviews I have read. :chug:

Brizbrew said:
DJR said:
Brizbrew said:

[post="119722"][/post]​

[post="119760"][/post]​

I will get stuck in to this brew session over the Easter break, Two cans of the two row lager have been purchased and are ready to rock n roll.
Hope it tastes as good as some of the reviews I have read. :chug:
[post="119951"][/post]​

I finally got a few spare hours today to throw this beer together, it is currently sitting in the fridge dropping down to optimum temperature.
I pitched the yeast at around 26c this morning as we had an ANZAC thing to attend, By this evening it is down to 16c and dropping nicely, I am hoping to keep it around the 12c mark for the next 10 days followed by diacetyl rest and a good spell in the cube at a nice cold lagering temperature.
I will let you know how it tastes in due course. :party:

The wort hit 1010 today after spending a week in primary at a steady 15c. It was very difficult to control the temperature in the antique fridge I use but it did a good enough job for me.
I also give it 48 hours diacetyl rest and have now racked it and put it back in the fridge hopefully going to acheive temps just a few degrees above freezing point for the next 3 weeks or so.

Funny thing though was after I racked it I stuck my head right over the now empty and lidless fermenter and was almost overfcome with the almost amyl nitrate type vapours pouring out of there, it was very rich and 'Beery' but different to anything I have smelt before... There was also a huge amount of yeast cake at the bottom of the primary. so far i am quite happy with the way it is going.

This two row lager kit has been in CCing for almost 3 weeks now and I am going to bottle the beer on the weekend. Do I need to remove the cube from the fridge and bring it up to room temp before bulk priming or can this be done straight from the fridge?
Geez I am rusty. :blink:

thats the best way and safest way mate. that way you have more control over the co2 in your beer.

Bobby said:
thats the best way and safest way mate. that way you have more control over the co2 in your beer.
[post="128603"][/post]​
Which one mate? :D

Keep the info coming Brizbrew

I have two cans of the MS Two Row Lager sitting in the pantry waiting for the weather to cool down a touch more before brewing. The missus will be glad to see the end of them. My spare fridge is full of kegs at the moment so will be relying on Victorian weather to keep temps down.

Will be interested to hear how it turns out.

Steve

oneills said:
Keep the info coming Brizbrew

I have two cans of the MS Two Row Lager sitting in the pantry waiting for the weather to cool down a touch more before brewing. The missus will be glad to see the end of them. My spare fridge is full of kegs at the moment so will be relying on Victorian weather to keep temps down.

Will be interested to hear how it turns out.

Steve
[post="128658"][/post]​
No probs mate. i will let you know how it turns out when tasting time comes.
For now I just wanted to know how much sugar I should use for carbonation?
I was thinking about 5g per litre? :blink:

I use one teaspoon of ordinary CSR sugar for a 700 - 750 ml bottle or half for a stubbie. I was using Coopers carb drops but found that carbonation took way too long.

Brizbrew said:
No probs mate. i will let you know how it turns out when tasting time comes.
For now I just wanted to know how much sugar I should use for carbonation?
I was thinking about 5g per litre? :blink:

[post="129457"][/post]​

i've bulk primed @ 9gm lt without any bombs, i like them max carbed though.

cheers

The beer is now sitting in bottles after being bulk primed today. I used 100g of sugar for 18.5 litres that I eventually racked back from the secondary in to a vessel to bottle from. Works out a tad under 5.5 g per litre.
Will now leave for a while to mature.
I have a house move and a few other things to keep me busy for a while but will post here to let you know how it tastes.

Brizbrew

Just had a look at promash and, for the amount you brewed, any where from 90-125 gm would have been sufficient. This is based on the amount of CO2 being 2.2-2.7 volumes, and assuming you brewed at 15 degree C. The volumes listed are out of Palmers book, 'How to Brew.'

Cheers

Steve

Hey Brizbrew,

Just wondering how your two row lager 2 can screamer turned out?

Would you change/add anything next time?

I was given a can a few weeks back and bought a second today to make a full batch.

I was thinking of doing the two cans with 200g Vienna grain steeped for 20 min and 12g Hallertau hops standard method.

Ferment @ 12 deg than transfer to secondary to cold condition

What do you think?

Latest posts

Back