Pilsner Feedback

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might have fermented out very quickly without much visible action.

Hold to the light - if you can see any tiny bubbles, it's active.

Can also test gravity and leave longer. I wouldn't be concerned.

manticle said:
Might have fermented out very quickly without much visible action.

Hold to the light - if you can see any tiny bubbles, it's active.

Can also test gravity and leave longer. I wouldn't be concerned.
Yeah have held it up and can't see anything going on in there really. Krausen is getting a bit bigger but dissipates as soon as I shake to aerate again. I've decided I will brew in the morning instead of today, in order to give it a bit more time! It's still well under 24 hours so I'm not worried, was just expecting it to go nuts on a fresh pack of yeast, but it's my first time using lager yeast!

Yeah there does appear to be a bit of activity now, I'm still going to brew tomorrow instead of today. Hopefully it ferments out over the next 24 hours, then I can fridge it tomorrow and decant it tomorrow night and pitch.

So this brew is in the books.

No salts, no whirfloc, just RO water, malt, yeast and hops.

Everything went extremely smooth, except for the fact that I dropped my iPhone directly into 32L of wort 10min into the boil and had to transfer everything out, fish it out (took over half an hour), transfer back and then bring to the boil again. What a nightmare.

Good news is there was a nice cake on my starter by the time I pitched at 14 degrees last night. Woke up this morning and it already has a krausen on it (10 hours after pitch).

Will be very interested to see how this turns out!

BKBrews said:
No salts, no whirfloc, just RO water, malt, yeast and hops.
no whrilfloc ? was that something recommended.

Also, what hops did you run with?

Pratty1 said:
no whrilfloc ? was that something recommended.

Also, what hops did you run with?
Just would have helped clear the beer up.

Due to the shit storm that had been my week, I just kept to what I was already doing and used solely Hallertau Blanc. 15g at 60, 15g at 30 and 25g at 10 for roughly 32 IBU.

And yes, phone is well and truly cooked. It nearly caused a boilover when it went in - the boil went absolutely nuts! It was all cracked anyway and I needed to claim insurance on it beforehand, so I wasn't too upset that I lost it, was more annoyed about what it did to my brew day!

What about yeast nutrient since you used R/O water

rude said:
What about yeast nutrient since you used R/O water
Nope - my entire bits and bobs equipment containers got stolen. I had nothing left to add.

Yeast nutrient is not really a function of the water used - it consists of vitamins, minerals and micronutrients most of which you would not expect in a common water supply (or at the very least tailored for beer). Wort contains most of the nutrients to make yeast happy, but yeast nutrient should be used regardless to aid in better beer. If you have it that is.
I don't have an iPhone in my Beersmith ingredients list, might have to add it.

I noticed a hit with my attenuation when I switched to R/O

It has helped a bit as R/O takes nearly everything out

CONTAINS
Proprietary blend of vitamins, minerals, inorganic nitrogen, organic nitrogen, zinc, phosphates and other trace elements.
If you have'nt got it record you're use without & compare with for next time

Lager ferments definitely look different to ale ferments, don't they? I always have a fairly clean krausen on my ales, but this lager looks like the krausen has a layer of brown yeast sludge slopped thickly on top. It's going off at 12 degrees though.

I only remembered yesterday as well that with all the brew day issues I had, I forgot to take an SG reading. Flying blind. I have been within 1-2 points of my estimated for the last 10 or so brews though, so I don't think this will be any different!

I haven't been on here for a while, but thought I'd update everyone on this.

The WLP802 ripped through the wort in about 6 days, so I bumped it up to 18 for 48 hours at about 1.014, then dropped it to 12 for 24 hours and then dropped 2 degrees every 24 hours after that until I reached 1 degree. It finished at 1.005 (was expecting 1.007) and is 5.1%. Had a taste and it surprised me how good it was.

It has been in primary for 3 weeks as of this coming Sunday, but has been at 1 degree since Saturday just passed. I'm likely going to keg it tomorrow, as I'm still off work from my surgery last week.

Will keg it, chuck it in the keezer on the gas and then try it when I get home from holidays on the 19th March. It was still quite cloudy when I tried it earlier but I'm sure it will clear up in the keg AND I don't really mind too much.

Got back from holidays yesterday after two weeks away, so it had been in the keg lagering for 3 weeks, on the gas for 2. Had to give it a try and then I will leave it for another 2 weeks before getting stuck in. Pretty happy for a first attempt!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1489988265.220686.jpg

Latest posts

Back