Malt Mechanics 30L conical

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know. They look nice but for that price I'd rather keep saving and get stainless steel. Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with fermenting in plastic, but stainless lasts longer, is harder to scratch or damage, easier to sanitise, won't discolour and looks so much nicer. In for a penny, in for a pound I say.

Camo6 said:
I don't know. They look nice but for that price I'd rather keep saving and get stainless steel. Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with fermenting in plastic, but stainless lasts longer, is harder to scratch or damage, easier to sanitise, won't discolour and looks so much nicer. In for a penny, in for a pound I say.
There is that too and what I was thinking as well. Although the Chronical is double the price. But it seems to be well worth every penny. I guess I should probably keep saving.

"Buy cheap, buy twice" as they say.

you can also upgrade the chronical to have the heat/cool element lid thingo to control your ferment temp how would you control temp in the plastic one? or do they have that coil thing too??

Yob said:
Olive Oil drums while not conical offer a great trade off on price.

Yeah, not a conical though...
they are if you use them upside down, but you would need some pretty strong glad wrap ;)

Hey Welly2, and others on this thread. Just thought I'd jump on and give you a rundown on our fermenters, I actually started a thread here some time back but post release mayhem/new baby/managing the other half of our business meant I didnt actually get back here to update. Thread here http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/80022-plastic-conical-fermenters/

We're stoked to finally have product in Aus, these are a fantastic fermenter which as you suggested sit squarely between the SS brewtech product and regular brewing buckets. The product is made here in NZ, and all of the bolt-on bits are either 304 stainless or Silicone. They handle a few PSI for transfers and have nice big 1" dump valves for harvesting yeast, come in 30L and 60L sizes (can actually take those batch sizes, with head space). The insides are super-smooth, and the logical comparison is always with the more expensive product, given the quality of the product we are producing. Apprehension around plastic is largely unfounded/has been quashed over time, as most brewers always start in plastic, and often never migrate up to stainless anyway. These are a super-tough moulding with a nice smooth interior, and if cleaned and sanitised correctly will indeed last a lifetime, wont dent, and contrary to popular belief, unless you are using a sharp metal object and being a tool, will not scratch on the inside. I scrub mine with a fairly firm-bristled brush and it still looks like the day it came out of the mould. Aside from that, they are what they are, a good honest product, designed for serious home-brewers. Ive easily cracked 50 brews in my ones, and barring some catastrophic fail, will see many hundreds more Im sure. This isnt a cheap product, we have not skimped on materials or hardware. "buy cheap, buy twice" doesnt fit our mantra..

We have some pretty nice updates coming soon too so will keep you posted on this forum and our facebook. Welcome any questions etc you all have. Cheers for the interest

TheJones said:
Hey Welly2, and others on this thread. Just thought I'd jump on and give you a rundown on our fermenters, I actually started a thread here some time back but post release mayhem/new baby/managing the other half of our business meant I didnt actually get back here to update. Thread here http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/80022-plastic-conical-fermenters/

We're stoked to finally have product in Aus, these are a fantastic fermenter which as you suggested sit squarely between the SS brewtech product and regular brewing buckets. The product is made here in NZ, and all of the bolt-on bits are either 304 stainless or Silicone. They handle a few PSI for transfers and have nice big 1" dump valves for harvesting yeast, come in 30L and 60L sizes (can actually take those batch sizes, with head space). The insides are super-smooth, and the logical comparison is always with the more expensive product, given the quality of the product we are producing. Apprehension around plastic is largely unfounded/has been quashed over time, as most brewers always start in plastic, and often never migrate up to stainless anyway. These are a super-tough moulding with a nice smooth interior, and if cleaned and sanitised correctly will indeed last a lifetime, wont dent, and contrary to popular belief, unless you are using a sharp metal object and being a tool, will not scratch on the inside. I scrub mine with a fairly firm-bristled brush and it still looks like the day it came out of the mould. Aside from that, they are what they are, a good honest product, designed for serious home-brewers. Ive easily cracked 50 brews in my ones, and barring some catastrophic fail, will see many hundreds more Im sure. This isnt a cheap product, we have not skimped on materials or hardware. "buy cheap, buy twice" doesnt fit our mantra..

We have some pretty nice updates coming soon too so will keep you posted on this forum and our facebook. Welcome any questions etc you all have. Cheers for the interest
Hey, that's for your comments. I'm kind of swaying between the two. There's a few things about the SS Chronical that I really like - the thermowell is a great ideal and particularly as I'm fermenting in a STC-1000 controlled fridge. I've currently been just sticking the temperature probe on the side with tape, covered by a bit of stubby cooler which is probably not all that accurate but not far off. I assume I'd have to something similar with the MM conical? What does it have inside in the way of a racking arm or does it just have the opening to the ball valve? I've never done a pressure transfer before (new to kegging) so am interested in how this works. I'm certainly thinking about shooting for the MM conical - the saving of $200 is a lot of grain/hops/yeast and certainly while not as bling as the SS chronical, your conical looks the part alright.

Cheers!

Oh, another question - what's the dimensions of it? I need to know if it'll fit in my fermentation fridge!

I have one of these and an olive oil drum, The MJ stainless goes great, yeah it's not a conical but it is stainless which makes cleaning and sanitising simple, The malt mechanics one looks great... but I always hated cleaning my old plastic fermenters as I was worried about scratching the surface that could then be a cozy little home for bugs to live in. I never had an infection in plastic, but I worry less with stainless.

yankinoz said:
Brewbucket is a bargain, but note there is no bottom tap. It is equiped to draw off beer abive sediments after fermentation, but not to drain trub before fermentation.
Might be a really dumb question, but how do you have trub that needs draining before fermenting?

Has anyone purchased and used one of these yet? I seen they are on a sale ATM and I am very keen if it will fit in my brew fridge. I was looking at the SS brew bucket too but I do like the idea of being able to dump yeast and trub.

They've got a kickstarter going right now, but it's only half way to the target with 4 days to go
Don't know whether to go in on the kickstarter or not, I'm hoping they'd honour the prices for the participants?

sp0rk said:
They've got a kickstarter going right now, but it's only half way to the target with 4 days to go
Don't know whether to go in on the kickstarter or not, I'm hoping they'd honour the prices for the participants?
I did ask them a question on their facebook page about what the deal would be if the kickstarter wasn't successful (not looking like it will be) and they said they'd still be producing them but just not at the same price. My concern that if the price is much higher than the kickstarter price then for the little extra, it would probably be worth going for a SS Brewtech Chronical. The $350 price that it currently stands at is really as much as I'd pay for a plastic fermenter, and I realise it's a very well specced plastic fermenter.

Yeah, I'd be jumping in on the 60L, but I don't want to have to transfer money in and out of my debit account if it's not going to go ahead

sp0rk said:
Yeah, I'd be jumping in on the 60L, but I don't want to have to transfer money in and out of my debit account if it's not going to go ahead
They only debit your account if it's successful. You don't pay anything up front.

Well, it was successful! They raised $53k. I did actually support it so looks like I'm getting one of these.

Latest posts

Back