Malt Mechanics 30L conical

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fourstar said:
I haven't used a conical, but am interested. I see one possible advantage of the Malt Mechanics. The MM has a bottom tap. No more whirlpooling or filtering wort going into the fermenter. Dump, let trub settle, drain out the bottom, pitch. Has anyone done this?

Both the MM and the BB have a tap a little ways up, for draining beer off from sediment at the end of fermentation.

bump, curious and going to be in the market for a fermenter. Anyone have feedback? Anyone have pics of them in fermenting fridge.

Last edited:
I have the 60L version and it's handy. When dumping the sediment I do find that you have to have the tap on slowly and let it leak out for 30 mins to an hour. If you fully open the tap up it digs a little channel through the sediment to the beer and you start dumping beer not sediment.....not good!

If you don't have it in the fridge it can be tricky trying to sit a heat belt around it because of the shape of the legs so getting a fermentation chamber that fits it is key.

I have the 60L version and it's handy. When dumping the sediment I do find that you have to have the tap on slowly and let it leak out for 30 mins to an hour. If you fully open the tap up it digs a little channel through the sediment to the beer and you start dumping beer not sediment.....not good!

If you don't have it in the fridge it can be tricky trying to sit a heat belt around it because of the shape of the legs so getting a fermentation chamber that fits it is key.
The heat belt issue is the only thing stopping me going for the MM fermenter. I often make pilsners which I need to heat from 11degrees to 18degress for a diacytal rest. Anyone got an idea on an alternative way to heat my fridge / fermenter if I can't use the heat belt...

Any other feedback about the fermenter would be welcome. Thanks

The heat belt issue is the only thing stopping me going for the MM fermenter. I often make pilsners which I need to heat from 11degrees to 18degress for a diacytal rest. Anyone got an idea on an alternative way to heat my fridge / fermenter if I can't use the heat belt...

I leave the freezer door open to allow it to warm up, works in the summer OK.

A heat belt lying in the bottom of the fridge will do the trick. I have never put my heat belt on a fermenter as it will not give an even heat. Heating the air around the fermenter will slowly raise the temperature without hot spots.

I have one of these heat pads and just put it in the fridge, if it's particularly cold I wrap the heat belt around and between the two of them I seem to maintain good temp control.

The only other feedback I have is you have to really, really (really) tighten the tri-clamp fittings. I've had one or two brews with the odd drip onto the floor of the fermentation fridge, apart from that I'm very happy with my purchase.

brew.pad.2_1024x1024.jpeg

Latest posts

Back