Malt Conditioning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be very cautious with the amount of moisture you use - gummed mill is a distinct possibility. I've tried it and gummed mine but I know it can be done better than my efforts.
Many other ways to improve fficiency too- what are you hitting and why is it bad? Consistency is at least as important as squeezing out high numbers.

Im getting around 70% efficiency, consistancy is good , no stuck sparges- just wondering what it might do for me?

Give it a whirl. There are a few who've tried it with more success than me. I was careless with my moisture amounts.

I should have said it better in the first instance, I was thinking about efficiency, and how I would go about increasing mine. I'm not desperate to increase it, just toying with ideas- this seemed to make sense.

Yeah, all I read says moisture amounts are key, and allowing time for the husks to absorb it. Might give it a whirl.

Sambrew said:
Looking for a way to improve my efficiency and came across the idea today.
http://beerandwinejournal.com/malt-conditioning/
Wondering who does this and which techniques you use? i.e.: Misting vs steaming. Does it allow a finer crush? - how fine? Does it just make a mess or does it work?
It stops the dust and stops dough balling in the mash, the later will result in better numbers.
Nev

So mashing in below gelatinisation temp should give similar results to conditioning?

I did it a few times. I sprayed water onto the grain at a rate of 1%w/w and then let it sit for 30 mins before milling. I found I could set the mill a lot closer and keep the husk intact and found I could increase the water rate to 2% without gumming. In fact I always found the milled grain after conditioning took up much more room in my buckets than unconditioned milled grain. I think I gained a couple of percent increase in efficiency, but in the end it was more work for little gain, so I stopped.

EDIT: typo

Latest posts

Back