Making Passata/Tomato sauce

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've made a fairly good V8 knockoff juicing them, skin on. I could drink that stuff by the Stein.
Oddly, if I bit into a raw tomato I almost yack.

Hi everyone. This is my first attempt at passata. I usually make eating/table sauce (with ezy sauce) but going to try passata in 2020. No issues with tomatos and i have 300 approx. 700ML Longneck bottles ready to go! But our family is not on speaking terms / devided and uncle that has the family recipe... i have asked a few times but he wont share the info or invite me to family sauce day!! Has anyone got a recipe?? I can remember from when was 15 (last time i got to help) that i got to add the salt abd turn the handle on the machine thankyou from Nathan

Is anyone on here using a reber 1hp juicer? Mine killed me clogging up when running the tomato skins through. I had to dismantle the cone filter after every box. Is there a solution for this?

So just finished making our homemade tomato sauce for this year.

35 cases of tomatoes (560kg aprox)

Time taken :12hours
245 Litres of tomatoe sauce made

We use a Reber 1hp tomato mincing machine and this time round had problems with our machine. The tomato skin would line the inside of the cone causing our machine to clog up. This slowed our process as we had to continuously stop the machine, dismantle it and clean out the cone. (Very frustrating) Has anyone else had this same problem?

This is our process

1. Wash tomatoes
2. Cook Tomatoes in a large pot. Remove when they start to boil
3. Put tomatoes through the mincing machine and re pass tomato skins
4. Put basil leaves into empty bottles
5. Add salt to tomato sauce and stir
6. Fill empty bottles and cap
7. Place full bottles into 44 Gallon drum and fill drum with water
8. Bring 44 gallon drum to the boil
So just finished making our homemade tomato sauce for this year.

35 cases of tomatoes (560kg aprox)
Time taken :12hours
245 Litres of tomatoe sauce made

We use a Reber 1hp tomato mincing machine and this time round had problems with our machine. The tomato skin would line the inside of the cone causing our machine to clog up. This slowed our process as we had to continuously stop the machine, dismantle it and clean out the cone. (Very frustrating) Has anyone else had this same problem?

This is our process

1. Wash tomatoes
2. Cook Tomatoes in a large pot. Remove when they start to boil
3. Put tomatoes through the mincing machine and re pass tomato skins
4. Put basil leaves into empty bottles
5. Add salt to tomato sauce and stir
6. Fill empty bottles and cap
7. Place full bottles into 44 Gallon drum and fill drum with water
8. Bring 44 gallon drum to the boil

Did you end up with a solution to your reber clogging up?

Hi everyone. This is my first attempt at passata. I usually make eating/table sauce (with ezy sauce) but going to try passata in 2020. No issues with tomatos and i have 300 approx. 700ML Longneck bottles ready to go! But our family is not on speaking terms / devided and uncle that has the family recipe... i have asked a few times but he wont share the info or invite me to family sauce day!! Has anyone got a recipe?? I can remember from when was 15 (last time i got to help) that i got to add the salt abd turn the handle on the machine thankyou from Nathan
I have grown lots of tomatoes this year, my wife wings it on passata recipes, the usual suspects basil, garlic onion but I have seen one recipe where it is all tomato, other ingredients are added as the sauce is used. I made a tomato sauce a couple of years ago using ezy sauce, couldn't pick it in a side by side with HP sauce. I was more than happy with that.:)
May be for another thread What chutneys have you made?

Latest posts

Back