Fermented Green Tomato sauce experiment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danscraftbeer

Reaction score
Hackist chef/organic gardener here just reporting on a new sauce experience. (for me)

I did a 5lt ferment of the late season tomatoes from my garden. Mostly green tomatoes (quartered) I juiced all the riper tomatoes and made that as the saline. No water. Jalapenoes green and red were also thrown in. Calculated at 2.5% salt for the whole brew. All mixed well then contained. Solids submersed in an airlocked 5lt pail it fermented well first 2 weeks. It smelt good! I left the brew in a dark corner and forgot about it, for 4 months! I'm wary of the bad guy possible bacteria's, like Botulism. I opened the lid and it looked new! I was expecting mush and mank but it all looks just as it did when I locked it up 4 moths ago, and smells yummy. Obvious look of finished clean ferment. The solids are clean and semi crisp. Freakin impressive actually.

Anyway I jarred some as is. Tasted some (only a little I'll see if I'm still alive tomorrow). It tastes damn good as fermented stuff goes.
I blended the other 4lt, bottled some as is and boiled the rest for about 40min to reduce and thicken, added some Cracked pepper. Some liquid extract malt (bakers style) to sweeten a little to taste. Added a little of hydrated gelatinous rice flour (as bonding so no sediment) That's it. Resisting to add anything else It has an aroma and flavour I've never encountered before.

The flavour profile changed dramatically after boiling. Turns out a very savoury tangy sauce, salty but excellent for meats especially I'd think. Like no other sauce I've made. No need for so many other things I usually throw into a sauce. No vinegar, lemons, spices and far more spectacular tangy spicy results.

Natural ferment for any vegetable ferments for me now. I'm convinced that the best yeast/bacteria is in the vegetable itself. Especially if its organically grown.
The basic Sauerkraut technique. Salt is the key ingredient rather than yeast. No added cultures needed.

I wish I took a photo when I first took the lid off. That was the impressive waoh! shot but I didn't darn it. I was just as cautious as brewing beer and didn't want to fiddle with cameras etc. Well, after eating it as is I'm not dead! It is pretty darn good. I through in other stuff in a rustic way like smashed Garlic cloves, Fresh Oregano and Parsley leaves. I'm converted somewhat from Vinegar pickled stuff. Salad dressings have a new style this year. B)

To think of eating raw vegetable brew left in an unrefrigerated bucket for 4 months and its good! :lol:

You have joined the ranks of stalwart people who first tried all kinds of fermented products.

Back