Making Passata/Tomato sauce

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought mine at Dandenong market.
Theres also a place on heatherton road dingley that has them (bloke does trucking - gets wine grapes and firewood too) and Bakaloumas in heatherton/kingston has 16kg polystyrene boxes for $23 which I think is a bit steep. Mind you I reckon if you told them you want a 1/4 tonne they might have a bit of room to move on that price. I think $1-$1.20 per kg should be about what you pay. I believe in the past the guy on moreland road has had the 16kg polystyrene boxes for $15.
Admittedly it is a little early in the season and cheaper tomatoes are probably yet to surface. But I've got not time really till the end of march to do it which is why we did it yesterday. I missed out completely one year leaving it too late.

Re hiring the machine. Actually its something I've been thinking about. I'll talk to the old man and see that he has no issues. If he has no issues then sure. You can borrow my 70L SS beerbelly kettle and my italian spiral burner too if you wish. I've also got an unmodified 36L robinox stock pot.
You'd have to collect from dandenong south either by the end of the week or saturday morning as I'm heading away for the weekend and all my gear is stored at work.
I'll shoot you a PM. If you havent heard from me by the end of tomorrow remind me.

Geez, the seasons later for you guys then!

Our cheap time is always between about Christmas and the first week of January. Last year it was $5 for a 10kg box, this time $7. But then the temperatures start to soar over here, and tomatoes get burned, so there's a short window which is conveniently around when I'm on holidays! :)

Komodo - that's awesome; really decent of you. Thanks!

The Tomato Man on Moreland Rd is actually the reason we booked in for mid Feb this year. Last year we did mid-March and he said to me, "Mike, you should be making the sauce in February; the tomatoes are better. But Mike, you're making sauce with your family and friends and that's what counts!"

> Geez, the seasons later for you guys then!
KS, yes I think it is a bit late this year. Perhaps not quite as hot this year. I'm originally a Perth boy and they're definitely ready a bit earlier over there - warmer, earlier Spring I guess.

364 Moreland Road just down from Melville road apparently.

Anyone know anywhere around Oakleigh to get tomatos? I just moved here from Preston, where tomato sellers pop up everywhere around this time of year..

Head to Bakaloumas on old dandenong road just over heatherton/kingston road but before boundary rd. Enter the yard and drive in behind the nursery on the left hand side (don't go to the main market shed). In the shed that connects to the nursery you'll find everything wog for making sauce. From hand crank machines, boilers, stainers, funnels, caps, bottles, electric machines, grape crushers right through to the tomatoes themselves.
They also sell charcoal and charcoal spits.
If you've got the time the main market is worth a look at with a reasonable selection of imported ingredients.

Or as I said before theres a bloke on heatherton road near westall extn (opposite tootal rd) who advertises "Tomatoes for Salsa di Pomodoro" amoungst other things such as firewood and wine grapes. Other wise oakleigh is about 15 minutes to dandenong market down princes hwy.

Komodo said:
Sweet will check it out. I know there is also one in Sydney rd falkner.

Does anyone know where to get green tomatos for pickles??

Passata (2).JPG
Boxes of Tomatoes

Passata (1).JPG
Washed Tomatoes

Passata (3).JPG
The machine!

Passata (4).JPG
The other machine (my mate blanket)

Komodo said:
Wolfman said:
Sweet will check it out. I know there is also one in Sydney rd falkner.

Does anyone know where to get green tomatos for pickles??
The guy on Moreland Rd is not there. I picked mine up from a guy in North Coburg 995 Sydney rd.$16 for 19kg. Making Tomato sauce today.

Had no joy on the green ones though. Does anyone know where to get these?

Thats cheap.

Was talking to a mate today his family do 600kgs but they bottle them in chunks/diced and make sauce as they need in the blender.

Komodo said:
Thats cheap.

Was talking to a mate today his family do 600kgs but they bottle them in chunks/diced and make sauce as they need in the blender.
I must admit we are lazy here also. just roughly slice or chop em up and into the kettle. then simmer to break down (not cook them) and stick blend or use a blender on them. we arent too fussy about skin and seeds. still tastes better than bought stuff. esp with a mix of heirloom tomatoes.

edit: i wish contante imports listed their prices on the web.

citymorgue2 said:
I must admit we are lazy here also. just roughly slice or chop em up and into the kettle. then simmer to break down (not cook them) and stick blend or use a blender on them. we arent too fussy about skin and seeds. still tastes better than bought stuff. esp with a mix of heirloom tomatoes.

edit: i wish contante imports listed their prices on the web.
I make sauce every 3 years as I make enough to last though. The best sauce has a bit of age on it.
I only bottle whole skinned toms and will use them as needed, blended, whole, chopped passata etc on a as needs basis.
Cheers
Chris

Wolfman said:
The guy on Moreland Rd is not there. I picked mine up from a guy in North Coburg 995 Sydney rd.$16 for 19kg. Making Tomato sauce today.

Had no joy on the green ones though. Does anyone know where to get these?
Hey Guys,

Bruno from 364 Moreland Rd has moved to 377 Victoria Street Brunswick West.
Bruno Cannatelli: 0419 000 404
Bruno Serratore: 0412 551 945

We ended up getting our 240kg from John (The Godfathers of Toms) at Vic Markets. He's the funny market dude who does the segment on RRR's Sunday arvo 'Eat It' show.

Shed H, Stall 7 Queen Vic Market.

Ours cost $300 for the 240kg though - bit disappointing but we were a bit stuck and disorganised.

Sauce Day is tomorrow - can't wait. Thanks again Komodo for renting us your Reber; it is a complete beast! (http://instagram.com/p/Vqm-F6LM2y/)

..and we also made sausages on Wednesday night which was great fun (not your machine Komodo): (http://instagram.com/p/VqyyYvrM8P/ - http://instagram.com/p/Vqzw2_LM87/)

Cheers

Breezy

I really want to learn how to do sausages.
Might do one of the courses "home make it" run

poor year for the garden with so little water. still made passata with 20kg of heirloom tomatoes (and tomato sauce). all went well until my missus dumped them all on top of my bar without me knowing. one bottle obviously had some brewhause yeast or something and...BANG! came into the outside brew room a few days ago and OMG the fkn smell. It was like get CSI in here. Blood (ok tomato) fkn everywhere up walls across the room etc. a full 800ml bottle had burst. its proof of aerial detonation for maximum carnage. the stench of rotting/fermenting tomato (given Melbourne had its most consistently hot summer in over 100yrs or something like that). more so the exploding glass smash my colletable beer glasses incl beer glass comp trophies. fkn pissed.

still it tasted good. BE VIGILANT WITH CLEANING REGIMES!!!!

Should clarify the csi comment. Looked like some one had had their head shot off with a shotgun.

We did 200kg last weekend between a bunch of friends.

My wife has blogged about it here: http://thecookspyjamas.com/backyard-tomato-passata/#more-454

The brew gear got a workout - stock pots for simmering the tomatoes, burners for heating the drums and an old fermenter for bottling. We have the OMRA machine thanks to my wife's very generous parents last Christmas. Now I wonder if it comes with a grain mill attachment; after all, she used my pots, so she kind of owes me..........

citymorgue2 said:
poor year for the garden with so little water. still made passata with 20kg of heirloom tomatoes (and tomato sauce). all went well until my missus dumped them all on top of my bar without me knowing. one bottle obviously had some brewhause yeast or something and...BANG! came into the outside brew room a few days ago and OMG the fkn smell. It was like get CSI in here. Blood (ok tomato) fkn everywhere up walls across the room etc. a full 800ml bottle had burst. its proof of aerial detonation for maximum carnage. the stench of rotting/fermenting tomato (given Melbourne had its most consistently hot summer in over 100yrs or something like that). more so the exploding glass smash my colletable beer glasses incl beer glass comp trophies. fkn pissed.

still it tasted good. BE VIGILANT WITH CLEANING REGIMES!!!!

Hahahaha you made a spelling mistake. Hahahaha

Latest posts

Back