Making Invert Sugar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long did you guys cook your sugar for ?

Batz said:
How long did you guys cook your sugar for ?
I held my last batch (invert method from the uk blog) at 116c for 2 hours. I used it in a pale ale fermenting now at 10% of the grist. Let you know if it tastes good. Can't see your pics, bloody smart phone

I think I may need to put mine back on the stove for a hour or so.

Also, my ebay digital thermo is sketchy too. I bought another one like your other one, much better. My 2 hour batch wasn't actually that much darker. One day when im bored im gunna try 3 hours haha.I think a combo of the double stage candi sugar method, but then holding the end temp ( same temp you hold it at for invert ) for two hours might work really well. All fun though, and the kids love me

Just made a batch of syrup follow along the lines of these 2 blogs. It's a different beast to the other sugars I've made with just an acid, or DAP+acid, which always come out very light and fruity.

http://nateobrew.blogspot.com.au/2011/08/candi-syrup-secrets-and-how-to-make.html

http://ryanbrews.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/candy-syrup-right-way-hint-weve-been.html

This one is way more complex, its dark and tastes like toasted marshmellow with maybe a little chocolate in there. It's still a little different than the commercial stuff I've tried before, but its a helluva lot closer than the previous versions I've made. It tastes great though, I've also eaten way too much of it, and burnt the crap out of my tongue several times so far.

My version was a little different than above, I followed the double cooked basic brewing radio version posted earlier in this thread. But added 3/4 tsp of sodium bicarbonate per pound of sugar, after 30 mins of boiling with the DAP in for some inversion.

Pretty in depth methods there!. Handy references though. For now I'm gunna stick to a more simple method, but might work up the courage to do one of those methods. I do like the idea of more caramel toffee flavours. Mine taste like sweet toffee, but I'd like more toffee caramel.

I made some on Sunday. 2Kg raw sugar from IGA ($2.95), 2L boiling water, and 5ml of Lactose Acid. Held at around 240F for 2 hours....the results were interesting. Very tasty caramel flavour, medium amber when dropped on a porclain saucer, but almost black in the glass storage dish. Once cooled, it didnt crystalise, but it has a very high viscocity. It wont pour easily when at room temperature, so warming up in the microwave for 5 mins will hopefully help.

It'll be going into the Bombardiar recipe which is floating around the forums at the mo. :)

Oh, and the Candi (!) Syrup I got from G+G was $23 a Kilo. So 2K for $3 is a bonus.

mje1980 said:
Also, my ebay digital thermo is sketchy too. I bought another one like your other one, much better. My 2 hour batch wasn't actually that much darker. One day when im bored im gunna try 3 hours haha.I think a combo of the double stage candi sugar method, but then holding the end temp ( same temp you hold it at for invert ) for two hours might work really well. All fun though, and the kids love me
From what I remember, its the temperature you get the sugar too, not the length of time, that will give you colour and flavour.

Holding it, I guess, would ensure all the the sugar crystals get processed? Not sure with the hold the method.

Endo said:
From what I remember, its the temperature you get the sugar too, not the length of time, that will give you colour and flavour.

Holding it, I guess, would ensure all the the sugar crystals get processed? Not sure with the hold the method.
Mine changed colour the longer I left it. From yellow (30 mins), to amber (80 mins), to dark amber. (120 mins)

Cosmic Bertie said:
Mine changed colour the longer I left it. From yellow (30 mins), to amber (80 mins), to dark amber. (120 mins)
I'm inclined to agree that all chemical reactions are a function of time as well as temperature. It's the balancing act that you can manage best that will give you consistent results.
The hardest part for me was trying to pay attention to a thermometer for over an hour. It only takes a few seconds to overheat and there are thousands of the little bastards.

So I just winged this without a thermometer as I was bored and wanted to do something. Turned out pretty good nice dark amber colour with toffee and raisin flavours.

Hopefully makes my next beer taste amazing

Beerisyummy said:
I'm inclined to agree that all chemical reactions are a function of time as well as temperature. It's the balancing act that you can manage best that will give you consistent results.
The hardest part for me was trying to pay attention to a thermometer for over an hour. It only takes a few seconds to overheat and there are thousands of the little bastards.
I think the trick is to make a larger batch as opposed to a small one. I used 2Kg of raw sugar and found that once it was upto 240F then it pretty much stayed there with the flame on *really* low.

how much should i chuck into a brew with a 5kg grain bill? what would be overkill

Doon, from recipes I've looked up, invert can be used up to 18%, though that tends to be big-arsed beers, average use for dubbles seems to be around 11%, though assuming you are looking at an OG of around 1050, probably not as high as that, lots of variables, I'd suggest map out what style you are aiming for first

Hours? Use less water. It can be done if you're brave with no water.

I might do a thread on making it without it taking hours. If you're brave, it takes 15 minutes to get really dark caramelisation.

Here's a 30 minute version. Note the 3:1 water ratio. I see some are using 1:1 - which means a lot of boiling off of water before any caramelisation can happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm drinking a 3% mild with 19% invert. It's thin bodied, but is very nice. I have the classic beer styles mild book, which lists more than a few commercial milds with 15-20 % invert. I just added 9% to a pale ale, which Is drinking nicely. Up to you how much you add really.

Nick JD said:
Hours? Use less water. It can be done if you're brave with no water.

I might do a thread on making it without it taking hours. If you're brave, it takes 15 minutes to get really dark caramelisation.

Here's a 30 minute version. Note the 3:1 water ratio. I see some are using 1:1 - which means a lot of boiling off of water before any caramelisation can happen.

Love to see the thread nick.

Last edited by a moderator:
i made mine in around 30 mins i reckon. Its looking really dark in the jar

what i did when finished is start adding small amounts of water back in so it wont set. Been in fridge now for few days and its still got consistency of slightly warm honey

Back