Make Your Own Keg Carbonation Lid

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I could suggest an extension, you could add your carbonation gas-in to a normal lid by drilling a hole in it - so you then have gas in, beer out, PRV and carb gas in. Carb it up however you like, then use the keg transfer method to pump it out to another keg. This means you have a dedicated carbonation keg (which could also be used for serving), and if you have a few different types of keg you don't need to have a different carb lid for each one.

If I could suggest an extension, you could add your carbonation gas-in to a normal lid by drilling a hole in it - so you then have gas in, beer out, PRV and carb gas in. Carb it up however you like, then use the keg transfer method to pump it out to another keg. This means you have a dedicated carbonation keg (which could also be used for serving), and if you have a few different types of keg you don't need to have a different carb lid for each one.

+1

If there was just one keg on which you would really want a pressure relief valve, it would be the one that you're going to crank up the gas pressure on...

Excellent use of bits lying around to achieve your goal, but really, carbonation lids are gadgets for gadget's sake (as are a number of things that end up on the shelves of shops if we are completely honest).
I force carbonate my beers in 25 'shakes' under 300kPa of pressure. Takes about 10 minutes, with no special equipment and very little effort. Afterwards, I have nothing extra to clean and no lids to swap over. Works every time, there's really no need to make the CO2 bubbles smaller. If they were really necessary, you'd see commercial operations using them & you'd see little airstones on the end of every soda stream machine spout.

I'm also with Spills on the pressure release thing - how are you going to release pressure when you have finished carbing?

Back