Make your own Calcium Hydroxide? Yeah, right...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
timmi9191 said:
Are you using a water tool such a Bru'n or EZ water?
No, but perhaps I should. I use the water calculator in Beersmith to get the appropriate ppm's, but haven't used either of the others. Ultimately, they're guides (good ones, but still just guides), and the final adjustment has to be made in the live mash.

I guess I'd need to get a water analysis of my rainwater first. $$$

MHB said:
missed your second post, I would be having a look at your pH meter and recalibrating it - be very unusual for tank water to be that acid.
M
I have a feeling we've been down this track before. As I understand it, there's not enough buffering power in water to make a pH reading meaningful, and it's only the mash pH which is relevant. But as I said, I'm still learning...

(But maybe that's why our cars rust out in three weeks after washing them :p)

rusty-car.jpg

Not familiar with the beersmith tool, but I find Bru'n is spot on.

My advice would be to use it and also read many of the accompanying notes as they provide good basic advice on getting the water profile correct to help with both the desired flavour/beer type and mash pH

I'm a tad suspicious of a pH reading that low for water. What reading do you get if you test vinegar? Should be somewhere between 2 and 3.

Take 7g of your homemade calcium hydroxide and dissolve it in 1L of water. The pH should be around 13.

evoo4u said:
Rain water in a country area. Very soft, but have not had it analysed. I'm making the assumption it has no significant chemical bias in it.

I've had to add 4 to 5 grams Sodium Bicarb to raise the mash pH from 4.7 to 5.2, and unless I'm imagining it, the beers do seem to have a harshness. Now it may be other factors at play here, and maybe that amount of Sodium Bicarb is perfectly OK. But I wanted to try Ca(OH)2 to see if I could detect a (better) difference.

Overall, I'm trying to strike a balance between being anal and 'she'll be right mate'.
I think DrS was referring to your needing that much Bicarbonate, a mash will naturally lower the pH some, a dark beer more than a pale beer.
To need the amount of adjustment you are making the water would have to be very acidic, which leads to the same question that I asked, how confidant are you of your pH readings?
pH meters need a lot of TLC, keep the electrode wet and calibrate every time you use it... and they don't last forever.

Unless you are making very dark beer it would be a very good idea to confirm your water/mash pH and if it is as low as you think.
Just in reference to an earlier comment about your beer flavour, I find too much bicarbonate can add a dry mineral flavour that I don't find very appealing, too high a pH will increase tannin extraction, again giving off flavours.
Mark

Making chemicals at home using a casserole dish.... whew lad. :blink:

evoo4u said:
What reading are you referring to?
Rainwater at 4.7 is very low unless I've misread something.

Edit - think i have misread. Confusing another thread about low pH tank water.

What is the pH of your water only?

MHB said:
I think DrS was referring to your needing that much Bicarbonate, a mash will naturally lower the pH some, a dark beer more than a pale beer.
To need the amount of adjustment you are making the water would have to be very acidic, which leads to the same question that I asked, how confidant are you of your pH readings?
pH meters need a lot of TLC, keep the electrode wet and calibrate every time you use it... and they don't last forever.
I always use Hanna's storage solution between uses, but I am guilty of not cleaning it as often as Hanna recommends. So I've removed the electrode just now, and it's in their cleaning solution. Then after a calibration, I'll do the vinegar/Ca(OH)2 check, and if it looks sus I'll commission the new electrode I have. I did the Ca(OH)2 check earlier this morning, after a calibration, but before the clean, and it started at 12.2, slowly dropping to stabilise around 11.8.

I'll report back...

The electrode may have been a bit dodgy I think. It calibrated OK the last time, but just now it did the 7 OK, but wouldn't accept the 4. So I have the new one in cleaning solution, as per the installation recommendation. Then I'll get a new set of batteries, and wait with interest my next mash.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help guys - I appreciate it. I mean, all I want is the perfect beer. Not too much to wish for is it? :p

Sounds good, Hydroxide will slowly react with CO2 in the air forming Carbonate which is less basic.
Looks like you are doing all the right things with your pH meter (which is the exception rather than the rule). Just had a google re your location, there are some very acidic soils in the region (as low as 3.5pH) a bit of dust accumulating on the roof and in the tanks could push the pH down.
Bit of a surprise that there would be enough of it to move the mash under pH5, but if it is, it is and sounds like you are taking the right steps to address it.

Might be worth boiling your water the night before, see what falls out and what happens to the pH.
Mark

I feel for you buddy.
Tried my hand at sourdough the other day which required the use of preheated Dutch oven.
My wife's long loved and cherished casserole dish looked the goods.
How was I to know all the glaze would crack when I pulled it out from 250C to room temp.

Good reading in that 3rd link.

UPDATE on my pH meter & mash pH:
My Hanna Instruments 98128 has received a new set of batteries, and the new electrode, and a fresh calibration.

Initial mash pH this morning (at protein rest, after 5 minutes or so) was 5.08.
Added, in stages, 8g chalk (calcium carbonate), which raised mash pH to 5.10. Not much going on there.
Added 2g Pickling Lime (Calcium Hydroxide) which raised the mash pH to 5.28, so happy with that.

I might add that the pickling lime was the very fine bought stuff, made in Japan, and bought online from the Melbourne Food Depot (1st link above).

Mash is proceeding well at 69C, so better get back out there...

Next time, if you will, do a little experiment: add the 2g of hydroxide first and the chalk second, measuring the pH after each step.

Latest posts

Back