Maize In Adelaide

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewerben

Reaction score
Hi all,

Have any Adelaide based brewers stumbled across a supply of flaked maize?

I know you can use polenta, but I'm specifically interested in flaked maize.

Thanks
Ben

Within Adelaide try Beerbelly or Brewmaker.

Failing that its polenta or as I often use "popped corn"

Cheers,
BB

I once used a kilo of no frills cornflakes. However they do contain a bit of salt and caramel 'toasty' flavour, but should be ok up to a few hundred grams.

Health food shops will usually stock Maize in a couple of forms.

Pretty sure I saw flaked maize last time I was in one. Not cheap, but pretty sure it will be "additive free".

+1 for Heath foods shops if Beer Belly hasn't got any..

I have sourced Polenta from Woolies in the past. Its usually near the gluten free area... if thats any help.

There is an organic whole foods shop in the central market complex with lots of sacks full of weird and wonderful grains. I think its called Goodies and Grains?
I have bought maze from them - they stock (or at least used to) a few different forms - not just polenta.

If that doesn't work try the specialty African shops as maize flours are an integral component of sub-saharan cuisine...

Dave

Edit - shop name

slightly off topic but some heath food shops seem to be rip off merchants, I mean it cost me more for simple plain puffed rice from a heath food shop then it does for big brand name fancy packaging rice bubbles with the millions of additives and what not.
What am I missing here?
I can buy specially malts at full retail that come from the UK and germany that cost less then simple puffed rice and I would assume corn products would be the same, you would think the rice or corn would be the cheapest part of the brew right?

So the brewshops beerbelly or brewmaker, or central markets and gaganis would be the best beat, yeah it still might be cheap enough at the heath food shops but I am a tight arse ******* and refuse to be ripped off paying more then you really should be.

Thanks all for the responses. I'll check out G&G and Gaganis - otherwise it's back to polenta.

Jayse: I agree that health food shops can be expensive, but I guess they're relying on you thinking it's all organic and better for you etc., and costs more to produce blah blah. The number of times I've read that the money saved in not using chemicals offsets the yield losses for organics I wonder how they can justify it...

I didn't think before that what I brought was proberly organic, I guess that makes sense then. Makes you wonder how much it costs to be a hippy then these days :lol:

Beerbelly didn't have any the last few times I checked (not a big enough market for it IIRC) and I've checked a few health stores with no luck. Funny side story at one though;

I went into one store, looked through what they did have and noticed they were all using the fancy names to make people think they were something other than simple products, so I figured I'd ask for exactly what I was looking for...

Me: Do you stock flaked maize?
StoreGirl: Let's have a look [at the shelves I've been staring at already, because I didn't think to look there]... nope, doesn't look like we have that. What is it again?
Me: Flaked maize...
StoreGirl: What's that exactly?
Me: You know, corn... flaked corn.
StoreGirl: I don't think I've ever even heard of that before
Me: Um... Flaked Corn, as in Corn Flakes...
StoreGirl: Oh. Right. No, we don't have those.

If you do find somewhere that stocks it please let us all know, otherwise I reckon I'm sticking with the polenta.

years before beer belly was going i got my lost lot from brewmaker at holden hill

Latest posts

Back