Maize Flaked V Polenta

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carboy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I did a quick search on the forum but the result did not answer my questions.

Can someone please help me by explaining...

1) The difference between flaked maize and polenta.

2) What affect they have in the mash, and

3) Outline the pre mash process i.e. do they both have to be pre-boiled before being added to the Mash? I believe Polenta soaks up water pretty quickly and can form a pretty solid ball if not handled correctly.

Thank you in advance for any replies

Cheers
Carboy :icon_cheers:

*insert can of worms here :icon_chickcheers:

You can add polenta direct to the mash and get conversion as its gelatinisation temps are the same as malted barley. HOWEVER it is recommended to pregelatinise it by boiling it first, then add it to the mash. Flaked maize on the other hand can be added to the mash directly and can be assured conversion as its already pre-gelatinised.

Thats the simple breakdown between the two. I just use polenta because its cheap and readily accessible and doesnt take any excessive time out of my brewday. :icon_cheers:

i usually just boil the polenta like im making it for consumption for 15-20 mins, top it up with my COLD strike water to equalise out to my stike temp and add it to my grain. easy peasy lemon squeezy!

As 4* says you can add it to the mash directly - I did that once and got good results, but I still boil it up for twenty minutes as an insurance policy. The trick is to add it as a thin stream to three times its volume of boiling water in a stockpot, stir like buggery as it can form clumps, and have at least one electric kettle of boiling water handy to pour in, as it seems to suck in huge amounts of water while it swells up, as opposed to rice.

Latest posts

Back