Maiden Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishpig

Reaction score
Hi weve finally layed down our first brew can some one tell me if this sounds allright,its our first try extract..

weve converted 2x 50 lt kegs into fermenters,airtight with drainage hole at the bottom
we converted 1x 50 lt keg into a kettle

1st we brought 25 lt of water to boil (took 38 min) added 6 kg of pale un hopped coopers malt syrrup
we then added 35 g of saaz hops for 60 min
then 35g for 30 min
then 35g at 15
we added to our second fermenter 25g of flavouring hops
we drained our wort through a 3/8 of an inch copper pipe submerged in an ice bucket which worked well,into our 2nd fermenter with our flavouring hops.the temp was about 23-24 deg
we pitched K-947 Yeast ,sealed and set aside
the first 4 days she was bubbling heaps now its bubbles about once a miniute,the keg temp is 23-24 deg still.
the gravity is 2.00.we plan to leave in the 1st fermenter for 2 weeks and second ferment for a further 2

my question is, when we add our brew to the 2nd fermenter after 2 weeks, do we have to pitch more yeast to it?????

3.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

sorry gravity is 1.02 after 5 days and its bubbling hardly at all..

Nice setup!
I wouldn't add more yeast. Infact i would put it in secondary now.

Nice setup!
its been in the primary since friday last week 6 days,how long should i leave in secondary?its not bubbling at all

Nice setup!
its been in the primary since friday last week 6 days,how long should i leave in secondary?its not bubbling at all

Rack it now. No need for extra yeast in secondary. Leave for another 5-6-7 days - check gravity and she should be right.

ok ill transfer it to second fermenter,what is the term racking?
were not bottling it were gassing it in 25lt kegs and serving on tap..
thanks for your help

racking is where you remove/transfer from the primary fermenter to a secondary fermenter/glass container or where ever your putting it. Basically its just the process of seperating the liquid from the yeast solids that have settled to the bottom of the fermenter.

racking is where you remove/transfer from the primary fermenter to a secondary fermenter/glass container or where ever your putting it. Basically its just the process of seperating the liquid from the yeast solids that have settled to the bottom of the fermenter.
thanks guys,i knew what to do but i wasnt sure of the term raking ha ha,,its still all kinda new but we'll get there...
ill rack it now ,hope it goes well,

thanks guys,i knew what to do but i wasnt sure of the term raking ha ha,,its still all kinda new but we'll get there...
ill rack it now ,hope it goes well,
oh 1 more question,the brew would have only been sitting bfor a total of 14 days is that okay? shouldnt i leave it longer for a better taste

oh 1 more question,the brew would have only been sitting bfor a total of 14 days is that okay? shouldnt i leave it longer for a better taste

14 days is more than enough for primary fermentation (befor you rack) any more than that and you may risk some off flavour. leave the brew in secondary (after you rack) for 7 days and if it's a lager see if you can fridge it 2-4 degrees C for 2 weeks to a month after that, helps to drop particles out of suspention and gives your beer a crisper taste

Latest posts

Back