Made My First Homebrew, Coopers Lager - Didnt Work

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I know. If the SG's down around 1000 it'll be pretty watery, but that's what you'd expect from a first brew.

And the malt wasnt a bad thing, just go for 1kg next time :) far better than using sugar
It's a matter of trial and error really.
I've tried 1kg light dry malt in the past but found it too malty for my liking.
These days I use 500gms LDM, 500gms dextrose and about 50gms dry wheat malt.
The dry wheat malt wont effect flavour at all but it does help with head retention.
You can usually buy the malt and dextrose in bulk, like 5kg bags and up, from homebrew shops and you'll save money in the end.

xknifepointx, once you get it right even the kits turn out better than the average megaswill.
Also, don't forget, never wash you beer glasses with dishwashing liquid, the soaps sticks to the glass and effects head retention. Just give them a rinse in water when your finished with them.

It's a matter of trial and error really.
I've tried 1kg light dry malt in the past but found it too malty for my liking.
These days I use 500gms LDM, 500gms dextrose and about 50gms dry wheat malt.
The dry wheat malt wont effect flavour at all but it does help with head retention.
You can usually buy the malt and dextrose in bulk, like 5kg bags and up, from homebrew shops and you'll save money in the end.

xknifepointx, once you get it right even the kits turn out better than the average megaswill.
Also, don't forget, never wash you beer glasses with dishwashing liquid, the soaps sticks to the glass and effects head retention. Just give them a rinse in water when your finished with them.

I agree that 500g of LDM is about the limit too add to a kit unless you like a really malty beer. However once you're able to boil up a few spoonfuls of hops with that added malt you can embark on the wonderful journey into better brewing; and drink some sensational beer along the way. My latest IPA has three cans of 'goo', 2 cans of kit and a 3rd can of malt, all with serious hopping. The shy is the limit, don't be restrained by a lack of imagination.

just botteled a coopers pale ale green can done with (700g light malt 500g dex 250g corn starch 20g por)and boiled the dry ingrediants in 3ltrs water 10 mins add to goo and dry hopped with 60g challenger taste test at bottling even though was flat it tasted just like the real thing thanks to other member for his advise. :beer:

tc

Back