Made a fermentation fridge from small bar fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
It was a new bar fridge 115 litre I think, anyway we got it for camping but don't use it anymore. Was just about to bent the cooling element down then I thought it would be easier to twist down one side and straighten out the end that curled up to make the ice compartment. Also had to relocate the thermo box. Works great, and easy as. Also drilled 2 holes in the top for the temp probe and 2 computer case fans.
Steve image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 59
That's one nice looking fermenter! Where did you pick that up from?

SBOB said:
I believe sjw has said in the past they came from :
http://winequip.com.au/products/olive-oil/oil/olive-oil-drums/

I've been tempted to look into how much it would cost to get one with a tap plus shipping to Newcastle but have been too lazy ;)
I have looked at those as well but the 30L ones from winequip only have a 100mm opening

Info on the oil drums is below

1 Height 43cm
2 diameter 34cm
3 opening diameter 10cm
4 price $145 plus $25 if you need the s/steel tap
5 shipping cost to Newcastle NSW $30

How thick are the walls on the olive drums? sturdy or easily pushed in?

Hi guys thanks for the replys. Yup they are solid, you can't push the sides in at all, not that I would want to.

Steve

The thickness is pretty good, don't know measurements exactly, but certainly fit for purpose.

Pay attention to the weld around the tap thread though. Mine (and I know of at least one more instance) is a little messy and won't seal against the optional SS tap without keg lube. It will seal with the supplied SS plug, but not the tap.

This has been happily rectified by Winequip in the other instance, I believe, I just never got around to taking mine back. I just apply a bit of lube each use.

This defects are by far the minority though, and I'm still happy with mine (but not my procrastination).

Latest posts

Back