Mad Brewers Stout Noir Clone Or Similar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyleg

Reaction score
Hi, im wondering if anyone has a recipe for this beer or can make an educated guess as this will only be my second brew and im not qiute that knowledgeable yet! if not i will settle for anyone who has a good recipe for an imperial stout. i also plan to make it a coffee stout. also i have the following hops available so if they could be used as substitutes that would be great to know.

centennial, mt hood and willamett.

also, i would like to be drinking this this winter, is it going to need a long time to condition?

any help much appreciated. cheers

Hi, im wondering if anyone has a recipe for this beer or can make an educated guess as this will only be my second brew and im not qiute that knowledgeable yet! if not i will settle for anyone who has a good recipe for an imperial stout. i also plan to make it a coffee stout. also i have the following hops available so if they could be used as substitutes that would be great to know.

centennial, mt hood and willamett.

also, i would like to be drinking this this winter, is it going to need a long time to condition?

any help much appreciated. cheers

Can of Coopers Stout and some hoyts sarsaparilla extract. Ferment as per instructions on can.

Please don't take this advice seriously. I tried a bottle of this muck tonight and poured 1/2 of it down the sink. Not a beer I'd try to emulate, but hey - you like it, you make it. Each to their own. :)

Try making an American Stout/Foreign Extra which is more in line with the Mad Brewer's as the base. According to Randy Mosher licorice at about 1 oz per 5 gals is typical for stouts/porters.

Try this as a recipe and tweak from there. I have brewed this and it would make a good base. It is a smooth stout and will let the licorice come through.
You can vary the patent and roast depending how like each of the grains character.

OG = 1070
IBU = 74
74% Ale Malt
8-9% Black Patent
4% Carapils
4% Crystal 70-80
4% Munich 2
4% Wheat Malt
1% Roast Barley

Mash 65-66 C

Willamette bittering 60min
30g @ 30 mins

licorice 25 - 30g @ 5 mins - I think they use ground licorice.

Use english yeast (Wyeast 1968) start at 17-18 C and let rise 20 C.

If you are unsure of the licorice amount what you can do is steep the licorice in vodka (200ml) for 2 weeks while fermenting and blend back to taste for balance. I generally use this technique with spices were I'm making a one off. Easy to do if you are kegging.

As for aging I think 4 - 6 weeks will get you there and only to get better from there on.

Hi, im wondering if anyone has a recipe for this beer or can make an educated guess as this will only be my second brew and im not qiute that knowledgeable yet!

If I was looking to brew something like this I'd be looking at Porter kits, not Stout kits. I had a bottle earlier in the week & to me it's closer to a Robust Porter than a Stout - it just does not have the level of roast that I'd associate with stouts.

Checking out the website it says:

"Brewed with pale chocolate, dark crystal barley malts and roasted black wheat malt, the wort is combined with Australian Super Pride hops and New Zealand Super Alpha hops. After boiling the high gravity wort for an extended period, powdered liquorice root is added to the kettle before pumping to the whirlpool."

I'd start with a good quality porter kit, 100-150g of each Dark Crystal, Roasted WHEAT (or carafa special), & pale chocolate. Make the rest of your fermentables up (to the 7%) with a 50/50 DME + dextrose blend, No finishing finishing hops - use a tiny amount of powdered liquorice, or dose it with the brewcraft liquid liquorice extract post ferment - maybe even in the glass.

Latest posts

Back