Mad Brewers Hoppy Hefe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree to a point with MJE - found the finish a bit meh - but this is probably more of a reflection of what I expect from a beer with such upfront hoppiness, a bit more bitterness in the finish.

But didn't find the finish cloying, just seemed to fade quickly, certainly leaving me wanting another sip!

I liked the beer, really tasty and enjoyable. Won't buy a lot of it, but am recommending it to all my mates who enjoy a good beer.

Kev

Excellent beer. Well constructed, near on perfect for an APA (but not a Weissbier).

Goomba

Well opinions being like assholes and everything but I find it closer to a something resembling a weissbeer, nudging weizenbock territory (a type of beer I love) than an APA (a type of beer I'm not so fond of). I could taste the wheaty esters, even if the hops dominated them a fair bit and it really lacked the bitterness of an APA. It is a creature of its own making (as are your taste buds) that doesn't sit nicely in any style and everyone will see it in a different light.

IMO!

BTW: purchased from Vintage Cellars @ Tunstall Square - Doncaster - they still have 3 slabs, of longies.

Ok,

Aroma = citra.

Flavour/palette = wheat.

Not interested in opinions on the beer BUT:

HOW do you separate the aroma and flavour of a beer so much?

SWMBO - love wheats, so I offer her a try, "Smells like one of your beers!" she tries... "Thats awesome, why does it smell grassy?"

Is this an example of a hopback? Or just dry hopping a chilled batch?

Thoughts?

I Just had six pints of this at js Portland so probably not the best judge but damn it's a good beer. I couldn't pin it down taste wise as to what it was Brewed with but certainly one tasty drop

Firstchoice have it listed on special in their current catalogue (in vic anyway), if ur still chasing suppliers

Picked one up at Birkdale last night, delish. Hoppyness of an IPA but the smooth, light bitterness of a heffe (must be about 15-17 ibu?)
do they come in stubbies or are they all longnecks?

Picked one up at Birkdale last night, delish. Hoppyness of an IPA but the smooth, light bitterness of a heffe (must be about 15-17 ibu?)
do they come in stubbies or are they all longnecks?
I've only ever seen mad brewers in longnecks

very nice! and i have b saaz. i wonder which best subs for citra, cascade centennial amarillo or simcoe?

very nice! and i have b saaz. i wonder which best subs for citra, cascade centennial amarillo or simcoe?

I reckon 50-50 centennial and amerillo might come close.

thx mate!

jeez one tallie is enough for a school nite.

I got a bottle at my local BWS the other night, and the young bloke said it hasn't been selling very well. YAY!!!!!!!! More for the Phatman.

Tried a bottle yesterday, not impressed at all.

Nothing but hops, no flavour from the heffe, overpowered by the hops. If they wanna make an IPA type of beer with fuckloads of hops and some wheat in the grist,
label the beer that way.
Unbalanced and in the end undrinkable for myself, might be ok in 12 months when the hops settle a little.

Best of luck to those who like it, but just another James Squire failure IMO.

Asked about it at Dans Campbelltown, NSW recently. They are still stocking largish quantities of the Stout Noir and when asked the teller said "Oh they are a new Brewery" and that he had never heard of the hoppy hefe <_<

He was an older guy that for some reason I expected more from.

Asked about it at Dans Campbelltown, NSW recently. They are still stocking largish quantities of the Stout Noir and when asked the teller said "Oh they are a new Brewery" and that he had never heard of the hoppy hefe <_<

He was an older guy that for some reason I expected more from.

Dans=the Bunnings of the Bottlo world!!!!!

i can tell you one thing, finish off a case in a night and expect to wake up in a world of pain! im a fan of the beer but not the aftermath.

Had a few on tap yesterday. Not really a fan. The upfront hopiness was nice, but the cloying finish put me off. I don't get the idea of a hoppy hefe.

Where'd you locate it on tap, Mark?

I was going to swing by unanderra bottle-o after work and see if they had any left in stock.

Sponge

If you guys wann try a great combination of a hoppy beer and a weizen, get hold of a bottle of Brooklyner-Schneider Hopfen-Weisse.

It's basically an IPA brewed with a hefe yeast. Delicious. I've made a few clones of it and come close.

brooklynschneider.jpg

Back