M27 belgian ale yeast ferment temp ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
Heya

So after doing 8 or 9 fresh wort kits I have decidied to mix it up a bit and try something new . got a tin of mangrove jacks belgian ale with stuff to add

Buddy recommend using this yeast insted of the yeast in the tin so I went with it

on the pack it says to ferment at 26 to 32.that seems high . have a brew fridge now so can do whatever i need .I was guessing I'd ferment my next ale at 18 or so with the fridge

should I go with that temp range or is it a case of don't follow the intructions and ferment lower ?

I have fermented with it lower and had good results.

I've recently used m27 on a malty ale that's still sitting in the FV CCing. I'd also never used it before.
I went with 24*C for the first day(inc pitching temp), then ramped to 26, 27, 28, 29 on consecutive days. Seems to be tasting great so far.
The Belgian/saison yeasts are great in being able to go to high temps and still be totally fine.
I'd also point out that mine seems to have achieved 94% attenuation! - Though that may've had something to do with a slightly stuffed mash schedule (accidentally went from 55 to 70 for a few minutes before dropping back to 65 for an hour).

Thanks

Guess I'll set the fridge for 26 and see how it goes

I'd suggest the 2 pertinent theories relevant to yeast are:
1) the yeasties set their metabolism in the growth phase (~ the first 24hrs). This has a major impact on their flavour contribution (& sort of the minimum temp they'll be happy at)
2) most of the flavour output/contribution by the yeast occurs in the first 3-4 days (maybe 60-80% of the gravity is chewed through during this).
So basically the results you get from the yeast is heavily influenced by your FV temp during both the first 24hrs and overall the first 3-4 days.
I'm still learning about yeast, but that seems to be one of the main points when considering your yeasties. Obviously there's much more to it, but it's been a handy guide for me so far.

So for this: If you start a little low and quickly get it up a bit - like I did to mine - I'd hope you're going a little conservative on the esters produced, but should still get a decent input from the yeasties.
2c

Yep. Same. By the time the froth from the vigorous stirring I did when pitching had dropped, there was already krausen formed.

Maybe they should rename it M27, Belgian Ale Beast.

I've used this a few times in saisons at Brisbane ambient temp in summer, tastes great, highly attenuative too.

it got my belgian wit down to 1.002. literally ate right through it all, at 26C. if i was to use it again i'd go higher, at around 29-30C. 26C was nice, but the 'belgian-ness' was a bit subdued for my tastes.

Latest posts

Back