Lumpy Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

govorko1974

Reaction score
Hi all,
Am new to brewing and have only put down a couple of brews with no problems. Purchased coopers pale ale and brew enhancer 2 to try. added my can to boiling water in fermenter but when i put b/e2 in it went lumpy..dont know if it was lumpy in the bag or not. stirred around for 10mins and tried to get rid of all lumps..thought i had but know i look at brew in fermenter and i can see down the bottom that there are still small lumps, so is hasnt disolved all the b/e 2. Was wanting to know if my brew will be ok or if i should just tip it out and start again. any advice would be great
matt

It will eventually dissolve. In future, if you are worried, you can use a whisk.

Add water to a clean stainless steel bowl, pour in be 2 and whisk as you go till all lumps are gone. It doesn't really matter - over fermentation time the yeast will find it and eat what they can.

That happened the first time I used BE2. It didn't seem to affect the beer and there wasn't any lumps in the trub.

Now if I'm using it I put it in the fermenter first and then a litre of boiling water. Give the fermenter a swirl for 15 - 20 seconds and it should be pretty much disolved. Then just proceed as normal.

Thanks for the answers guys, shall see how it turns out, looks like i'll be swirling the fermenter next time or mixing it in a bowl before adding. should of done a bit more research on here before i used it and i wouldn't of had the problem.

My experience is that this happens when you add too much to the water too quickly. Put the water in first, then add dextrose/malt etc in small batches as you stir. Then add the can.

When I used to use Dry Malt Extract I found that adding the DME to cold water it no longer clumped. I would then add the can and rinse the can with boiling water a couple of times...........no lumps.

Cheers

Gidday all,

have just tried the lumpy brew...been in bottle 2 weeks and compared to my first brew(Morgans Oz Lager) at 2 weeks is a hell of alot nicer, am really looking foward to trying it again in a couple of weeks time as the oz lager is at least drinkable now..am going to put down another cpa but this time i might try and add some hops, was wondering what the best one would be, am hooked with the brew bug after only 2 brews....
cheers all
matt

When I used to use Dry Malt Extract I found that adding the DME to cold water it no longer clumped. I would then add the can and rinse the can with boiling water a couple of times...........no lumps.

Cheers

As Brad says, I found exactly the same. Cold water, no clumpies :icon_cheers:

Back