Lucky Belgian Tasting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swinging Beef

Blue Cod
Reaction score
Yesterday we held ourselves a mini Belgian beer tasting since I managed to get my grubby paws on a box of Morte Subite.
We enjoyed tasting...

Kwak
Morte Subite Cassis
Morte Subite Peche
Morte Subite Framboise
Morte Subite Kriek
Morte Subite Gueuze
Floris Framboise
Floris Apple
Chimay White Cinq Cents
La Guillotine
Maresous 6 Blonde
Montieths Raddler
Shofferhofer Grapefruit

The last two the bloke in the Bottlo threw in because he said, "if you like the others, you will really like these". I'm going to havbe to go back and explain a thing or two to that fellah

I must say, if you have only had Lindemans or Floris Lambic before, get your chops around a Morte Subite. A far superior drop.
The amazing thing for me, was to taste them all and realise that the fruit flavours exist in the gueuze and are simply accentuated by the addition of the fruits.

Next time.. English beers.

Shofferhofer Grapefruit
Hey?
Can't say i've ever heard of this. The Germans making fruit beers now!?

Edit: Oh, and yeah Morte Subtle are quite nice in comparison to Timmermans and Floris fruit beers. Though Lindemans make a good Gueuze, and particularly Cuvee Rene, nice and dry.
If you really wanna try some serious fruit lambics though, get your hands on the likes of Cantillon, Oud Beersel and Hanssens. Recently tried Krieks from the latter two breweries...mind blowingly good. Not sweet at all, ridiculously mouth puckering and complex. One hell of an experience!

Hey?
Edit: Oh, and yeah Morte Subtle are quite nice in comparison to Timmermans and Floris fruit beers. Though Lindemans make a good Gueuze, and particularly Cuvee Rene, nice and dry.
If you really wanna try some serious fruit lambics though, get your hands on the likes of Cantillon, Oud Beersel and Hanssens. Recently tried Krieks from the latter two breweries...mind blowingly good. Not sweet at all, ridiculously mouth puckering and complex. One hell of an experience!
Cool.. I will check out thoseif I ever see them.
Bloody hard to find, Lambic beer.

Yeah, Shofferhoffer 2.5% grapefruit flavoured heff beer. Awful.

Yesterday we held ourselves a mini Belgian beer tasting since I managed to get my grubby paws on a box of Morte Subite.
We enjoyed tasting...

I'm so jealous - love belgians and lambic beers and anything really complex and interesting.

Montieths Raddler
Shofferhofer Grapefruit

The last two the bloke in the Bottlo threw in because he said, "if you like the others, you will really like these". I'm going to havbe to go back and explain a thing or two to that fellah

:lol:

:rolleyes:

At least he didn't give you one of those "Miller Chiller" things.

Hey?

Errr... not quite. I think they just mix ordinary wheat beer into ordinary grapefruit juice. (Kind of like a shandy) Blame the Reinheitsgebot.

I imagine you'd end up with two totally unblended flavors, with all the fruit sugars and sweetness still present. Hardly an aged fruit lambic.

To me it just doesn't seem right. The Belgian approach, fermenting with the fruit, seems to me to make sense - the fruit sugars will be fermented out along with the malt sugars, and the aging process will allow the flavors to blend into something unique.

Latest posts

Back