Low sparge temps - Ran out of gas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

losp

Reaction score
Arg! Just when the brew day was going really well, something always has to happen!
I ran out of gas (and somehow the spare was empty too) during the second runnings of my Batch sparge.

At mash out i drained the second runnings (which was actually a bit low in temp, about 68, i think the temp must have been too low (70 ish) for the second runnings and i hadnt noticed, but the first runnings were OK) into the boiler and went to heat it up and no gas.

The immersion heater that i have had just been put into a different pot for a different batch, so i just had the pot sitting there for a good hour at the mid to high 60's while i waited for the other brew to finish its boil. Have I done anything negative to affect the brew by leaving it sit there at low temps for that long?

Nah mate, she'll be sweet. Happened to me a while ago (well power went out and my electric HLT stopped heating at about 71 degrees and thermometer on MT was at 68 for the sparge) and didn't suffer any efficiency loss and hit all my numbers.

Lesson for next time though, make sure you've got full gas bottles, or at least a couple of kettles of boiling water. Saves you a bit of stress.

JD

JDW81 said:
Nah mate, she'll be sweet. Happened to me a while ago (well power went out and my electric HLT stopped heating at about 71 degrees and thermometer on MT was at 68 for the sparge) and didn't suffer any efficiency loss and hit all my numbers.

Lesson for next time though, make sure you've got full gas bottles, or at least a couple of kettles of boiling water. Saves you a bit of stress.

JD
Cheers,
Well I have pretty much hit my target SG as well (only about 0.02 off). But i am more worried, i guess, about the possible leaching of off flavours.

Yeah, your right about the gas bottles, the one in my barby was flat as well!

I think this is something that has happened to most of us as well.. I now have 2 x 9kg bottles, one in use and the other I try to keep full..

my barbie bottle gave me about 30 seconds before conking out too :lol:

Latest posts

Back