Lost My Ag Virginity Today.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonj

Premier Ipswich Mash Proponent (PIMP)
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just thought I'd post a big fat message about how I brewed my first All Grain today :beerbang: . Expected to do it tomorrow, but SWMBO took the day off today, which meant that she could watch our daughter (I'm a full-time dad).

Recipe was a pretty simple APA made up of BB Ale Malt (88%), Caramunich (6%) and Munich (6%), with Cascade and Chinook to around 26IBU.

Learnt a couple of lessons... like that I need to calibrate a dipstick so I know the volume for my kettle.
I had planned on doing it, but forgot... oh well.

So now I have around 20L of APA wort at 1.063 SG

Every time I move I smell cascade!

Pics will follow later.

HUGE thanks to browndog for all his help, and to mobrien for selling his equipment, and for providing the recipe.
:super:

great stuff Bonj , WELCOME to the other side ...

congratulations bonj :super:

unfortunatly i am still a virgin here myself ,so is it as orgasmic as they say? did you work up a gallon of panic swet? how many profanities were used?

was it as colourfull as last HBR who done there first AG ?

but in all honesty well done .

delboy :)

Well done mate :beer: . Sounds like the first of many great beers is on the way. Maybe Browndog can help you out with a fossilised dipstick :D

Nice one Bonj :super:

I look forward to sampling a few at the festival or the case swap.

Thanks guys. It's been 4 years in the making! I was so close to doing it about 4 years ago, but got bogged down on the details, and never ended up doing it.

Well it's done now, and no turning back. Next brew on Sunday! I still smell hops... lol

Next brew sunday... , this boy is on the horse and he is takin it for a ride !!!

Nice one Bonj...

Welcome to the DARK SIDE...

Sqyre... ;)

Congrats mate. Can't beat the taste of your first AG!!

Well done Bonj, I hope you enjoy every last drop of that beer. How long was the brewday? And did it go smoothly or did you leave a tap open or something :lol:

Cheers
Andrew

Thanks AndrewQLD,

It went pretty smoothly. I'm having a bit of a concern about the no-chill jerry. Not sure if it's sealing well enough. Brewday was about 6 1/2 hours total, from setup to packed away.

Thanks AndrewQLD,

It went pretty smoothly. I'm having a bit of a concern about the no-chill jerry. Not sure if it's sealing well enough. Brewday was about 6 1/2 hours total, from setup to packed away.

Six and a half hours isn't bad for your first Bonj! I still flap around in the shed each time I brew, but it's mainly an excuse to spend some time without having to obey...! You know what I mean.

Great to hear there's another convert - there's no such thing as the 'lost art of AG brewing', that's for sure. I've never seen a more active pursuit.

Enjoy that first sip - and try to resist too many samples from the fermenter - you'll never forgive yourself!

Cheers :beer:

Nice work Bonj!

Won't be far behind I hope. Brew day is set for tomorrow...

Still do kind of hope to make the festival but I struggle to plan many events that far in advance so we'll see...

Cheers

Ben

Well Done Bonj,
I reckon you should name VW or Beetle APA in honour of the brewstand! Looking forward to the sampling mate.

cheers

Browndog

Welcome to the club. Its a slippery slide down hill from here. That is for SWMBO and anything else in life you might need to devote any time too!

Well done mate :beer: . Sounds like the first of many great beers is on the way. Maybe Browndog can help you out with a fossilised dipstick

Onya Bonj, you don't muck around do you? :beerbang: It's upwards & onwards from now on.
Thumbs%20Up%20Pic.gif

A full length of that bone would make an ideal dipstick for the kettle if only Tony could get hold of one for you. Sorry again that I can't make your birthday next weekend but hope you have a great time. :super:

:beer:

well done Bonj :super: ...& there I was thinking you didn't like hops....you'll be brewing a Ruination before you know it :D

Cheers Ross

well done Bonj,

We haven't met yet but I will look forward to a sample at the swap. Life changes once you go AG thats for sure..

Enjoy it..You've worked for it..

:beer:

Latest posts

Back