Lost a few batches already to what I think is astringency. Is my Coron

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't bother or worry about brewhouse efficiency yet, I haven't got a clue about mine as I'm not bothered with it.
Get your process and problems sorted first then advance from there, Labels was right with his suggestion of getting other brewers to sample and give advice etc.

Geez you blokes are onto it, gone for a couple of hours...

Alright, I'll fill in the gaps where I can.

earle said:
Mashout is also helpful in BIAB to 'loosen' the sugars so they drain out more easily. This is helpful in BIAB because we don't sparge.

There are opinions on both sides about squeezing releasing tannins. I'm firmly on the side who don't believe this. I squeeze as firmly as I can but without the mechanical advantage of saucepan lids or the tennis raquet squeezer someone posted here. I've never noticed tannin astringency in my beers nor has anyone else who has tasted my beers, this includes local beer club and case swaps so reasonably educated opinions.
I am also of the belief that it doesn't do anything. The first AG beer I did was a Saison and I pulled it out at 66C and squeezed and that ended up being an ace beer.

Bribie G said:
Tannins are more of a pH thing that can occur from oversparging; commercial breweries such as Coopers sparge sensibly but then squeeze the feck out of their mashed husks using hydraulic "mash filters" that resemble arrays of enormous BIAB bags to get the last possible drop of wort out and there's no astringency problem.

I'd be looking at infection, personally.

I usually mashout (BIAB 40L urn) but fairly lax, often pull the bag at mid 70s.
Don't say that :( If it's infection then I actually have no idea where in the process it is happening, anything that touches it post boil is well and truly StarSan'd.

franks said:
It could be the 5.2
I've heard people that have stopped using it because it made their beer too minerally. What sort of water are you using?
Melbourne tap water for the first 2 shithouse batches, the same water through an activated carbon filter for the last one (and the porter in the fermenter now)

anthonyUK said:
I'd also go with a pH issue. That 5.2 cannot possibly work for all water. Do a batch with a known water source e.g bottled/ro if necessary to eliminate this.
Happy to go back to regular tapwater for a batch as I've definitely done 2 successful beers with it before.

Black n Tan said:
Five Star 5.2 won't do a cracker fro soft Melbourne water so save your money. You are better off using 1-2% acidulated malt for pale beers. This is from BrunWater

"SPECIAL NOTE: Five Star 5.2 Stabilizer is indicated by its manufacturer to "lock in your mash and kettle water at a pH of 5.2 regardless of the starting pH of your water". Evidence by homebrewers indicates that this product does not produce a mash pH in the preferred room-temperature range of 5.3 to 5.5. That evidence shows this product does produce some pH moderation in waters with high Residual Alkalinity. But, the mash pH tends to center around 5.8 (room-temperature measurement). While 5.8 pH is acceptable, it is at the upper end of the desirable range. The evidence also shows that in waters with low Residual Alkalinity, this product shows no effect on pH. Since Five Star 5.2 Stabilizer is a compound with high sodium content, its use will elevate the sodium concentration in the brewing water. High sodium content is undesirable from a taste standpoint in beer. Proper acidification of mashing and sparging water will produce more acceptable brewing results for most brewers than the use of 5.2 Stabilizer."
Hmm. That seals it, next batch i'll definitely skip the 5.2.

GalBrew said:
I found that 5.2 ruined my mash efficiency and did not bring my pH into the desired range of 5.2-5.4 using Melbourne water.
I only have some dodgy paper strips to test pH so ironically enough, the 5.2 was so I didn't have to worry about my water...

labels said:
You really need a bunch of experienced brewers to taste your beer to sus out the problem because - as you stated - you're not sure what you're tasting. So that IS the starting point. From there it should be an easily solved problem. I'd take the earlier advice and go to a Melbourne meeting, beer in hand and get as many experienced brewers as possible to sample it.

There's no point in learning the hard way when you don't have to, from my experience brewers are a mighty helpful bunch especially with new brewers or those experiencing problems.
Looks like that meeting isn't far from me either. I might have to inflict this rubbish on others.

mxd said:
ok, chilling what temp do you get down to then pitch at (as your starting I would stick with dry (just my opinion :) ) ?

What temp are you fermenting at.

What was the kit stuff like ? the same flavour or normal kit flavour ?

Would you consider buying a fwt and just try to fement that to see if the issue is you sanitation/fermenting ?

As you chilling try to get some good o2 in there, could be a shower head/vegie strainer when pouring into fermenter then a big shake/stir.

If you efficiency is low and you don't add some DME or LME then your balance is way out and it will be as bitter as anything.

Melbourne brewers is the last Wednesday of the month in Boronia so not too bad a trip.

Did you buy ground grain ? if so how old is it ?
Chill to 30C, in the fridge until 20C, pitch.
Fermenting at 20C for 2 weeks, slowly ramp to 22C to clean up, cold crash then bottle.
The kits were the Coopers cans, so probably not really relevant to my problems now (although they caused me to step my game up to all grain!)
What is a fwt, why do I need it, and where can I get one?
I'm now wary of adding new equipment to my process, one more thing to cause infection...
Hadn't thought of that, thanks!
I'll definitely head down, I can't/won't brew until I've got this licked.
The grain is unmilled and about 2 months old that I have on hand, the rest I had bought and milled myself (except that first Saison)

Blind Dog said:
My first step would be to eliminate the 5.2, my second to get experienced Brewers to taste it; it's hard to describe flavours accurately . I'd also be tempted to brew half batches until I had the problem sorted

My gut (and its a big gut) says infection as other than the 5.2 theres nothing you've yet described about you process that differs from what many others do successfully.

(Edit, clarity)
Definitely doing points 1 & 2, and 5L batches has been on my mind because this is killing me.

indica86 said:
Going by Brun water my mash is well above the 5.2 and works well.
The way to go is make beer, Learn what to do. Mash grains, boil wort, add hops. Ferment the fucker.
THEN play with other stuff..
I did that, and then I wanted more toys... then it went to shit. Somehow.

tugger said:
Whirlfloc?
Yep, last 10-15mins when I remember. Some have had it, some haven't.

spog said:
I wouldn't bother or worry about brewhouse efficiency yet, I haven't got a clue about mine as I'm not bothered with it.
Get your process and problems sorted first then advance from there, Labels was right with his suggestion of getting other brewers to sample and give advice etc.
I'm willing to go back to forgetting efficiency and preparing to buy 9kg of grain for a 5% ABV if it means good beer!

fwt is fresh wort, if you go to keg king or brewers den (I'm only thinking of the closest) this is an all grain "kit" my thought here is ferment this (as it's all you need to do) if you have the issue it's your fermenting/sanitising issue not your brewing (for me all my issues in the early batches were fermenting (o2, temp, quality/quantity)

I plan/hope to drink brew on satdy or sundy (ii'm down to 180 ltr's in cubes so it's getting tight) if I am and you want to bring a urn over we could brew together (it would be a no chill/cube)

mxd said:
fwt is fresh wort, if you go to keg king or brewers den (I'm only thinking of the closest) this is an all grain "kit" my thought here is ferment this (as it's all you need to do) if you have the issue it's your fermenting/sanitising issue not your brewing (for me all my issues in the early batches were fermenting (o2, temp, quality/quantity)
I might give that a go if this porter turns into a disaster, I'm still not totally convinced that it isn't my crush. There's usually a reasonable amount of flour in there, so my steps would be:
Get LHBS to crush my grain and brew with that
  • If it's crap: It's me. Buy a cube of wort and try that.
  • If it's good: Find a milling solution.
  • If the cube is crap: Something in my fermenting is causing infection. Start again.
Does that sound reasonable?
mxd said:
I plan/hope to drink brew on satdy or sundy (ii'm down to 180 ltr's in cubes so it's getting tight) if I am and you want to bring a urn over we could brew together (it would be a no chill/cube)
I play sport on the weekends and the season has started, part of the reason why my preference is to mill my own grain, so that I can buy a couple of recipes worth unmilled then crush & brew at will. Thanks for the offer, if things are still disastrous I may take you up on it when bye week rolls around...

I am having similar issues. Last 2 batches of pale ale have been mediciny, cloves. All hop character obliterated. And ,now I recognise it, I realise I have had it in other brews!!! Reading in John palmers 'how to brew' , in the -is my beer ruined-section of course. Caused by chlorine based sanitisers reacting with phenols produced by the yeast. These chlorophenols have a very low taste threshold. Cure- rinse with boiled water after sanitising! That's my new regime.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1431512724.876344.jpg

A pinch of Campden powder in your brewing water will remove any chlorines/chloramines in seconds.
Daft not too.

mxd said:
Down to 180 litres ! You poor bugga.

So I thought I'd update y'all, seeing as I wouldn't be able to get down to the Melbourne Brewers this month, I took a sample pack into the Brewers Den and asked Pete to taste them for me and tell me what was wrong. A lot of you said infection. He tasted my most recent batch, and told me that the flavour I was tasting was the medicinal flavour. I was expecting medicinal to mean like Demazin or something like that, turns out it's more like the medicine cabinet at your grandparents. Good to know.

Then he tried my brown ale, which is about 4-5 months in the bottle by now. It was significantly worse than when I tasted it, which confirms that there was some little bugger growing in there. He had to spit it out, and I don't blame him.

So the biggest suspect right now is my fermentor, going to give that the best soak and scrub I can, tap included, and probably my ball valves as well (they're really the 2 biggest consistencies between my batches) and hope for the best. I'm so relieved to finally know, as this mystery had really put me off, and can't wait to get back into it.

I couldn't bring myself to dump my porter in the FV last night though; I tasted it and while it is definitely infected, I could still taste that beautiful smokey and roasty flavour, I'm spewing because I reckon that was a top beer! I'm going to get my shit right and make it again. Back on the horse!

Thanks for all your help!

tl;dr: Y'all were right, infection. Time to super clean & rinse. Bummed to lose beer, super excited to make more.

Yup, think Albanian is right, a new fermenter (cube) is cheap, cheaper than losing batches of beer. Ditch it and start fresh. Pull apart ball valves, soak in PBW or something similar, then sanitise thoroughly (each and every time you brew) and finally watch your brew processes carefully after the boil, bugs fall down, so make sure you don't leave any opening uncovered.

or consider giving up the BIAB technique and go with batch sparging. Esky and keggle.
I looked into the different methods before starting the AG quest and didnt like the look of it.
I'm never surprised to see poor efficiency results using that method.
I get efficiency levels that indicate the grains are more potential than Beersmiths standard calculations.
Close to 100% mash efficiency and 82% brew house, total efficiency. I sparge the crap out of the grain,
mixing and turning over the grain each sparge. Starting with a larger pre boil volume. Boil for longer.
Very pleasing results considering the amount of sparging with untreated Melbourne water throughout the whole process.

Just be wary of over-sparging.

To OP, for the price of a new fermenter, it's not worth the time, effort and money to find out you've lost another batch. Might as well eliminate one variable.

sponge said:
Just be wary of over-sparging.
Yep, I am wary of over sparging but also experimental enough to push it to see what the negatives are.
So far I haven't discovered what the negatives of over sparging are.
Getting final run offs as low as 1.008. Getting more bang for my buck for sure. :chug:

What I don't like is throwing away malty sugars that haven't been extracted properly left in all that grain probably enough to feed a starving village, etc.

Waste not!

Danscraftbeer said:
or consider giving up the BIAB technique and go with batch sparging. Esky and keggle.
I looked into the different methods before starting the AG quest and didnt like the look of it.
I'm never surprised to see poor efficiency results using that method.
I get efficiency levels that indicate the grains are more potential than Beersmiths standard calculations.
Close to 100% mash efficiency and 82% brew house, total efficiency. I sparge the crap out of the grain,
mixing and turning over the grain each sparge. Starting with a larger pre boil volume. Boil for longer.
Very pleasing results considering the amount of sparging with untreated Melbourne water throughout the whole process.
BIAB isn't the problem. I do a mashout, sparge once with 7 ltrs of mashout temp water and boil wort for 90 min to produce 20 ltrs. Efficiency, mid to high 80s. Same as many BIAB users. Hear of plenty of efficiency probs from other systems too.

Latest posts

Back