Loss of flavour and aroma when poured into a glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hathro

Reaction score
So I've tasted my SNPA mini-mash clone and it tastes great! The only problem is that when I pour it into a glass, it loses almost all of the hop aroma and flavour. The bitterness is still there but it is missing the floral aroma, cirtus hop flavour and the sweet crystal malt taste on the back end. I was going from hop explosion in the bottle to carbonated bitter yellow in the glass. It would be like having a SNPA and an EB. It was that different!

I'll drink this batch from the bottle, problem solved. However I would like to know why this is happening? Is there anything I can do in the future to prevent this? Don't bloody say kegging. I'll get there :)

Some info:
  • Has been bottled for 3 weeks
  • Have tried multiple glasses: pint, lager, tulip, SN IPA glass
  • I'm pouring it slowly into a tilted glass
  • I'm shouldering the bottle (leaving the last 1cm with the yeast/sediment behind)
  • Leaving it in the fridge for 2 days before serving
  • Have tried a frosted glass
Recipie below:

19 litre batch recipie

1.5kg 2-Row
200g Crystal Malt
1.7kg Light Dry Malt Extract
14g Magnum hop pellets 60 minutes
14g Perle hop pellets 15 minutes
28g Cascade hop pellets 1 minute
14g Cascade dry hopped (day 4)

Mash Grain in 4.4 Litres of water @ 65.5c for 90 mins
Sparge with 7.27 Litres of water @ 75.5c for 10 mins
Top with water to 10 Litres for the boil
Boil for 60 mins and add hop additions as specified.
Cool and add to fermenter
Mix in Light Dried Malt Extract
Top with water to 19 Litres to reach a desired temperature of 19c
Pitch Yeast
once fermentation has settled (around day 4) dry hop

Tastes like ass? Turn it around and it will taste like pussy!

Seriously, ass is not a good descriptor, I, like most on here, don't know what ass tastes like.

If it is not your glasses (try drinking chilled water from them) then something is going on in the bottle that you cannot smell/taste when drinking from the bottle.
Craft brewers want you to drink from the glass for the full aroma/taste experience. Taste is 60-70% aroma, without your nose going into the glass you are not getting all the flavours. Smelling the open bottle wont present all the aroma so you probably cant smell the ass.

A better description of what you are tasting and you may get a response giving you an idea of how to prevent it in subsequent batches

NewtownClown said:
I, like most on here, don't know what ass tastes like.
Lies :p. But seriously I take your point and have updated the post.

A better question would be is there someting going on with my brew or glassware?

OK, turns out it's my glassware. Just poured a real SNPA into a glass and it didn't taste good at all. Bitter, no aroma or explosive hop flavour and no sweet malt taste. Tasted amazing from the bottle.

Any suggestions?

Don't put your good glassware in the dishwasher.

When you hand wash your beer drinking glasses, use the minimum amount of scentless/odourless detergent that you can.

I have had the same problem . I have put it down to one of my fermentors and I have 11 of them so now I have to find which one . It just strips all of the flavour and aromour out of the beer .

Not For Horses said:
Is that a thing?
I don't think I've ever been to a bar that washes glasses by hand.
Yes.

Most bars serve shit alcohol so it doesn't matter much.

If you want to test it for yourself then buy a new glass that is good for beer - stemmed crystal beer glasses are good all-rounders. Only ever wash it with bicarb or just use steam and a clean cloth. When you next make a hoppy beer from a good recipe taste the beer once it is dry hopping in secondary with your new glass and a glass that has been through the dishwasher plenty of times. See if you can tell the difference.

And when you can't tell the difference keep washing your glasses in the dishwasher.

I used to **** around with bullshit cleaning of glasses until finally realising that dishwahers use bloody hot water and steam to do the job........
if you do use a tablet use a good quality one, even then on a long run your going to get at least 10 minutes of steaming hot clean water through the glass.
All my glasses go this way and I don't taste ass in my beer.

As for the OP even if he had filthy glasses it still doesn't explain a loss of flavour and aroma as opposed to in the bottle, other than a lack of concentration of aroma in the bottle.
Looking at your recipe you need more late and dry hops to get the big hit you seem to be chasing.

Pubs/clubs would use a powder specially made for glasses, mainly mineral salts, but rely mostly on heat and water volume to do the job.

Household tablets are mainly the same salts with added rinse aid which is well and truly washed off in a full cycle, short cycle not.

Kranky said:
Most bars serve shit alcohol
Not the ones I go to.

I'll try it, but there must be other things at play given the (reasonable) inertness of most types of glass.

Not For Horses said:
Not the ones I go to.

I'll try it, but there must be other things at play given the (reasonable) inertness of most types of glass.
I assume it's the chemicals in the detergent. Cleaning a glass that has had beer in it doesn't require heavier duty cleaning agents that are used for greasy pots and pans.

yum beer said:
Looking at your recipe you need more late and dry hops to get the big hit you seem to be chasing.
This raises a good point. How much of what I'm chasing is taste and how much is smell? I'll dry hop heavier next time.

As an experiment, I'm going to try one of those throw away plastic cups. It's just amazing how the hop aroma and crystal malt flavour get zapped from both SNPA and my home brew from a pour.

next time you go to the pub, pinch one of those headmaster glasses

not sure if it's been mentioned yet, or if it's relevant given you CAN taste it nicely from the bottle, but try allowing your ale to warm a little. if you're serving it straight from the fridge, give it a good 10 mins in the bottle first, to sit at ambient. then open and pour it into a glass and see if that changes anything. all my ales taste a LOT nicer once i leave them for a wee bit.

Buy yourself a can of Carlton draught,
Pour your homebrew into a
Glass.
Sip the Carlton draught,
Sip your homebrew.

Problem solved as you will be so happy with your beer from that point on.

fletcher said:
not sure if it's been mentioned yet, or if it's relevant given you CAN taste it nicely from the bottle, but try allowing your ale to warm a little. if you're serving it straight from the fridge, give it a good 10 mins in the bottle first, to sit at ambient. then open and pour it into a glass and see if that changes anything. all my ales taste a LOT nicer once i leave them for a wee bit.
Thanks, will try this tonight.

Rob.P said:
Buy yourself a can of Carlton draught,
Pour your homebrew into a
Glass.
Sip the Carlton draught,
Sip your homebrew.

Problem solved as you will be so happy with your beer from that point on.
Haha, I won't be happy because I know how good it tastes from the bottle! :)

Latest posts

Back