Looking For Ideas On First Ag Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10 min IPA.

95% pils malt
5% carapils
Riwaka saaz-D to 65 IBU (230g is what I used) @ 10min left in boil.

Think I did a single infusion mash @ 66deg until converted then mashout @ 77 for 10min.

wyeast 1272 American ale

I just made this recipe and it is the bomb! You wont be disappointed.

EDIT: forgot to add OG=1.060

My next batch of this will be with marris otter malt and Amarillo

Cheers for that Gav may give that one a crack, few weeks off at the moment just waiting on a mates old man to finish up the welding of the frame for the rig then we're pretty much good to go

I think for your first AG you should go for a recipe that is EASY but also FORGIVING. One that will work if you get your mash temp too low or too high, and will work if your efficiency is too low or too high as well.

I'm of the opinion that an American Amber Ale is a good example of this. If you mash too low the spec malt helps it not being too dry, and if you mash too high it tastes good with heaps of body as well. The lower amount of hops compared to a hoppy APA/IPA means you have a bit of room to move with regards to not hitting efficiency and this affecting your perceived bitterness etc.

My first AG was a DSGA and is the only all grain brew I've ever screwed up. My second all grain was an Amber and came off perfectly. Things may be different for you, I don't care, this is my opinion / advice.

OP mentioned repeating an APA, so I reckon Ross' Nelson Summer Ale...
But really, it's your brew, brew what you want... why not a Belgian Pale Ale? A Bitter? A Porter?
Each to their own I guess.

Four simple beers to brew first up -

1. Doc's Golden Ale
2. Ross's Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale - My Pick
3. Tony's Little Creatures Bright Ale
4. Andrew's Coopers Pale Ale

They all turn out great.

Cheers for that Gav may give that one a crack, few weeks off at the moment just waiting on a mates old man to finish up the welding of the frame for the rig then we're pretty much good to go

No prob's mate. I think this recipe is really easy anyway. Not sure what size batch you want to do but if you got a recipe program you can work out your amounts etc there. The batch I did was for 22L and it was full on passionfruit aromas from the Riwaka. Not sure how the Amarillo will go but i'm sure it's going to be nice as well.
:icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back