Looking For Feedback On My Method

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cynicide said:
Should I start the diacetyl rest?

Anyone know how I can prevent the hop matter from the primary being transferred to the secondary?
[post="121065"][/post]​

1018 - perfect time for the diacetyl rest. If it gets much lower there won't be enough yeast activity to clean it up.

Don't worry about the hop matter - won't do any harm at all - once you start CCing, it will rapidly fall out of suspension for when you're ready to rack/bottle.

If you really want to remove, a small piece of net cutain or similar loosely fitted with a rubber band on the end of your syphon tube, will catch it all.

Cheers Ross

Thanks again guys, I did two days at 20 degrees and then transferred to the secondary with a bit of finings. The Hoegaarden is a bit dark but it tastes enough like the real thing to call a success.

So now my primary concern is to make sure that I don't leave the beer in the secondary for too long. The last thing I want is to prime the brew and have it not carbonate because all the yeast are dead. I don't feel comfortable adding more yeast before bottling so does anyone have any guidelines they use to tell when secondary is over?

Cynicide said:
Thanks again guys, I did two days at 20 degrees and then transferred to the secondary with a bit of finings. The Hoegaarden is a bit dark but it tastes enough like the real thing to call a success.

So now my primary concern is to make sure that I don't leave the beer in the secondary for too long. The last thing I want is to prime the brew and have it not carbonate because all the yeast are dead. I don't feel comfortable adding more yeast before bottling so does anyone have any guidelines they use to tell when secondary is over?
[post="121660"][/post]​

I wouldn't be too concerned with not having enough yeast. There should be enough to carbonate your bottles in your beer. It could just take an extra week.

As for the wit. It'll be hard to get a wit looking as light as hoegaarden without going all grain. The extract would just make it a bit dark for the style. But the taste is still gonna be there.

Latest posts

Back