Looking For A Place To Bulk Buy Dextrose In Canberra

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dagwood

Reaction score
Hi there,

Does anyone know of a place to buy dextrose in bulk in Canberra?

By bulk... I only mean I'm wanting to buy up to a 25kg bag.

Thanks

new member, first post. I'm guessing he isn't brewing beer...

What the other guys above me were trying to suggest I think, if you are brewing beer, is that malt is a much better alternative to dextrose. There is plenty of information on why this is the case on here.

If your not trying to brew beer then start :D

I'm sure its considered blasphemous on this site, but I'm an incredibly lazy brewer, who only uses the can of gunk, and a kg of dextrose.

I'm working 12 hour shifts, 8 days in a row, with only 1 day off in between, at the moment. So I unfortunately don't have a lot of time to dedicate to brewing.

When work settles down I'm definitely going to experiment with better ingredients. But for now, dextrose is about as fancy as I have time for.

Speaking of experimenting with different ingredients, can anyone recommend a good place to start?

On the plus side, with all of the overtime I'm doing, the first thing my wife said we should spend the money on is a kegging system for me. :D

Dagwood,

If I were you, I'd look at buying light dry malt extract (LDME) instead of dextrose - a little more expensive but will make a more flavoursome beer and you use it exactly the same way. Either way though, your best bet is to go in to Brew Your Own at Home in Kambah and talk to Colin. I have bought a bulk 25 kg bag of LDME from him before and from memory, it works out to nearly half the price of buying 500g - 1kg bags of the stuff.

cheers

I brew a lot of my beers 1 Kit and 1 kg dextrose; as I like the lighter style beer in the warmer climate (I live in QLD). If I lived in England I would probably go for a dark/malty ale, don't know I've never lived there. Remember beer style is personal preference. Don't get me wrong I also like an AG, but also don't have the time for it.

I get most of my dex from coles/woolworths in the 1kg bags when on special. I found 25kg bags had minimal savings, and was too much hassle measuring it out (yes I'm really a 5 minute brewer).

It you get some Light Malt Extract (LME) you can try 1/2 kg malt & 1/2kg dex with a can for a more fuller flavour with more mouthfeel. Even try 1kg malt with 1 can, see how you go. Then experiment 1kg malt with 1/2kg dex. I still use 1/2kg white sugar sometimes in my draughts.

The only other thing I would sugest with kits is to try adding hops for flavour. This can just be drop 12-15g in boiling water for 10mins and add to brew when making it up. I find the more malt, the more hops you will need to balance it out.

Remember first rule to good beer is cleaning and sanatising.

Next joys will be kegging and temperature control.

Hope this helps.

Thats just the information I was after. I'll buy some LME and LDME and start experimenting. Sounds like an easy place to start.

Thanks a lot guys.

Thats just the information I was after. I'll buy some LME and LDME and start experimenting. Sounds like an easy place to start.

Thanks a lot guys.

That's how it's starts :D and before you know it your making good beer, welcome.
Another one lost to brewing.

Back