Looking For A K&k Ipa Style Recipe / Ideas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjparker

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for a recipe or ideas on making myself a nice hoppy IPA.

I have the following:

• Coopers APA kit
  • Super Alpha hops
  • NZ Cascade Hops
  • NZ Nelson Hops
  • Moteuaka hops
  • riwaka hops
  • POR Hops
  • Box of BE2

Ideally I'd like to make something with what I have, For this one I dont want any steeping of grains or the like, I don't mind however grabbing another kit if a toucan would be called for.

Yeast I would need to buy, but I may be able to culture enough us05 from the slurry I have left in the fridge.

I am currently drinking a Fat yak Clone from the other thread, the flavor is there, but it is too subtle for my tastes, and the mouth feel just isn't right, it's almost like it is too thin.

If it helps, I just got from NZ, and have been drinking the Epic Armageddon IPA. If I can get anywhere in the same suburb as that (I know a kit wont get the same ballpark), I'll be over the moon!

I have also just invested in a 60l fermenter, so a double batch wouldn't be out of the question!

Hi,

I am looking for a recipe or ideas on making myself a nice hoppy IPA.

I have the following:

• Coopers APA kit
  • Super Alpha hops
  • NZ Cascade Hops
  • NZ Nelson Hops
  • Moteuaka hops
  • riwaka hops
  • POR Hops
  • Box of BE2

Ideally I'd like to make something with what I have, For this one I dont want any steeping of grains or the like, I don't mind however grabbing another kit if a toucan would be called for.

Yeast I would need to buy, but I may be able to culture enough us05 from the slurry I have left in the fridge.

I am currently drinking a Fat yak Clone from the other thread, the flavor is there, but it is too subtle for my tastes, and the mouth feel just isn't right, it's almost like it is too thin.

If it helps, I just got from NZ, and have been drinking the Epic Armageddon IPA. If I can get anywhere in the same suburb as that (I know a kit wont get the same ballpark), I'll be over the moon!

I have also just invested in a 60l fermenter, so a double batch wouldn't be out of the question!

Hi mate, although I used the coopers IPA kit, you could try what I've just put down...

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=56675

I think you will need either an extra kit or a kilo of dry extract to get into IPA territory, depending your batch size.

An idea could be to get a second coopers APA kit and use that along with the one you have and the BE2, that should give you enough bitterness & plenty of body. Use some of the BE2 to do a small boil of your favourite hops and save some for dry hopping.

I did something a little similar a few months back and I was quite happy with it, this was my recipe:

2 x coopers APA
500g dry extract (added to a 6l boil)
250g Special B (or any crystal malt you choose)
60g Motueka: 25g @ 10, 25g @ 0, 10g dry hopped (if I did it again I would use a full 90g pack of hops)
S-04 yeast
25l, fermented at 16C - 18C for 20 days.

You could try something like that without the steeped grains, if you get a second kit then use both packs of yeast.

I've only done one can based IPA style beer...so here it is. Was a bit of a strange combo of hops but worked quite well and has great aroma and plenty of hop flavour (oh and it was a little bitter....not crazy though). I just was mucking around with the remaining hops i had in the fridge....

1.7 kg Coopers Sparkling ale (simply the can i had sitting around)
1 kg unhopped lager malt (from hbs....can get another can of a really lightly hopped beer style i suppose and toucan it)
500gm crystal spec grain steeped
250gm LDME
500gm coopers brewing sugar (80% dex 20% malto i think)

5L boil with some unhopped lager malt
Galaxy 10 g 45 Mins
EK Golding 10 g 30 Mins
Galaxy 5 g 15 Mins
Cascade 10 g 15 Mins
Cascade 5 g 0 Mins
Amarillo 15 g DRY HOPPED

21L fermented with S04 at 20deg for 10 days. Dry hop in secondary for further 7 days.

This turned out really good despite a possible wild yeast issue during secondary (think s04 went to sleep and while yeast finished it off). Will be trying a similar batch again without wild yeast (which gives it an interesting sourness not unlike a belgian style) hopefully so look forward to that. If it tastes as good as it does despite poor ferment should be bonkers with a good one.....

Latest posts

Back