Looking For A Chocolate / Coffee Stout Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2thebrew

Reaction score
Wanting to try & make a decent chocolate / coffee stout based on a can of dark ale / stout (or two) and liquid / dried malt, hops, chocolate & coffee etc.

Can anyone give me a good (and simple) recipe.

Cheers :beer:

made a pretty good stout with choc/coffee tones but you need to steep some grains:
1 can coops stout
1 can coops dark ale
200 grm ldme
300 grm ddme
300 grm lite choc grain[choc]
200 grm caraffa t2 grain[choc/aroma]
150 grm carapils[creamy head]
100 grm ground coffee[dark roast]
grains/coffee steeped @ 65c 4lts water for 30 min/strained then liquid boiled for 10 min then add to ferm
saf04 yeast 20 ltrs ferm @ 18c didt add exta hops but next brew will dry hop 40g fruggles for aroma
dont know how you would get the choc flavour without grains unless you tried choc essence added after ferm

Thanks for the advice guys, I am looking to start using grains with the kits, however wanting to get a bit more experience with kits & bits first.

I have just gotten back from the HBS, have purchased;

1 tin Morgans Stout
1 tin Morgans Caramalt
500gm dark dried malt extract
200gm dark beer booster

I had considered using cocoa powder, however not sure how much to use, when to add etc.

Cheers :party:

Not sure if I can find my old kit and extract recipes now but my most successful used equal proportions of ground coffee and organic cocoa powder. You don't want to overpower it - stout is rich as it is.

Back