Look What I Scored!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norsman

Reaction score
HPIM1192.jpg

Hey, hey. Check out this beauty; note the flavour (Beer & Chipotle!!). This is one of the best damn BBQ suaces I've ever tasted. Me and the g/f tried it out on pork chops and even mixed it into pizza suace. Its definately one of my favorites. BTW, It holds 1 Liter and might be good for bottling beer too don't ya think? Score! :lol:

nice pickup! Has anyone ever used some of their HB for cooking?

:D :D

What's better than beer and pizza? Beer with beer-flavoured pizza!

BTW, might be good for bottling beer too don't ya think? Score! :lol:

I was under the impression that if a bottle hasnt been used to store a carbonated beverage, then it probably isnt designed to do so.

Tasty looking sauce tho! Where did you get it from? I love a good smokey bbq sauce

Cheers
DrSmurto

yep, im always splashing in HB in dishes:

Steak n stout pie
APA Shepherds pie
Lagered Roast beef
Vienna lager Spaghetti Bolognese

....the list goes on

I was under the impression that if a bottle hasnt been used to store a carbonated beverage, then it probably isnt designed to do so.

Tasty looking sauce tho! Where did you get it from? I love a good smokey bbq sauce

Cheers
DrSmurto

Heya Smurto, I am a little bit worried about bottling beer in this BBQ suace bottle... But on the other hand here in Canada alot of the grocerie store produce has to under-go a wide flucuation of temperatures when being transported to the store. Temps can range from as high as 45*C to minus 58*C in Saskatchewan. I would assume that suppliers would have to contend with the various temperature extremes and thus not bottle there products in flimsy containers. BTW, the bottle itself seems quite hardy, alot like a grolsch bottle. I'll let you know if I get fragged by a BBQ sauce bottle, wish me luck.

Oh, this sauce does have a nice smokey taste, a bit of a warmness from the chipotle, and hint of beer in the background.

I've used it heap of times. (Well, my wife has...) In everything from casseroles to marinades to BBQs.

I've got a Belgian Beer Casserole recipe that rocks. I've substituted any ale for the Belgian style ale. Always good. I found it on the web somewhere.

View attachment belgian_beer_casserole.pdf

i used some HB belgain beer in one of the Xmas puds this year. Well worth a try!

I recently put some smoky flavour into some fajitas with about 250 ml of my Rauchbier, as a marinade and cooking sauce. Quite nice, if I do say so myself.

Beerz
Seth

Way to make my mouth water. I'm a big fan of fajitas (having spent 2 1/2 years in Texas)... well nearly anything Tex-Mex.

-Bonj

I recently put some smoky flavour into some fajitas with about 250 ml of my Rauchbier, as a marinade and cooking sauce. Quite nice, if I do say so myself.

Beerz
Seth

Hey Les, Never done a rauchbier myself. What would be a good amount of smoked malt to add to a pale ale to give a good smokeyness, but not so much to over power a nobel hop aroma?

Without straying too far off-topic, norsman, I've only done one Rauchbier.
It was 6 kg Rauchmalz and 105g (IIRC) Choc malt for colour.

It has required 4 months of lagering/storage to mellow the smokiness. I'm laving the remaining bottles in the fridge until the next brew comp, I reckon.

For a more subdued smoke flavour, start with about 500g smoked malt and modify up or down from there.
I made a partial mash smoked stout with 500g Rauchmalz and it was quite nice, but too much diacetyl. You won't have that issue, though, as you'll pay more attention than I did.

Let us all know how U go.

Beerz
Seth :p

I've used it heap of times. (Well, my wife has...) In everything from casseroles to marinades to BBQs.

I've got a Belgian Beer Casserole recipe that rocks. I've substituted any ale for the Belgian style ale. Always good. I found it on the web somewhere.

View attachment 11022

Hey Bonj,

where do you source (no pun intended) yours?

- Snow

Snow,

I've only ever used homebrew in it. I only recently became aware of the Dan Murphy's on Sumners Rd, Middle Park, but haven't seen Ommegang there. I picked up some Leffe, Duvel, and Chimay there, but only to drink ;)

Just about any casserole can be made better by adding beer. I mostly have ales brewed, so that's what I use.

Sorry to disappoint.

EDIT: I just realised you may be talking about the sauce that started the thread (uhhh.... sorry about the hijack). I may have access to a source in the US... let me know if you want to pursue it.

-Bonj

Hey Bonj,

where do you source (no pun intended) yours?

- Snow

mmmm, i made a chilli beer in which i overestimated my heat threshold somewhat.. a little over balanced you might say... but god, what a great steak marinade!!!!!! :chug:

mmmm, i made a chilli beer in which i overestimated my heat threshold somewhat.. a little over balanced you might say... but god, what a great steak marinade!!!!!! :chug:
That sounds fantastic... as a marinade. Just tell everyone you meant to do it like that. :D

Back