Long mead ferment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deepregret

Reaction score
Hi all!
So I’ve been nervously watching the ferment of my first try Traditional Mead.
I brewed it on 23/10/2018 using EC1118 yeast, and it’s OG was 1.115, it is now sitting at 1.054. It is still showing signs of active fermentation (airlock still bubbling slowly, CO2 bubbling coming up through the mead.
I was hoping it would ferment out a bit more, down to al least 1.020/030. It tastes nice but I really wanted a bit higher ABV. I didn’t use yeast nutrient as I’m one of those annoying chemical free guys...
My question is this, considering it’s been in primary fermentation for pretty much three weeks, should I transfer it to secondary or just let it go. It’s important to note that if I don’t transfer it in the next 2 days, it will have to wait for another 2 weeks until I can transfer it to secondary, due to me working away.
Will it be ok to just leave to ferment down a bit more?

Cheers!

no problem at all to leave it for a few more months

what chemical is in yeast nutrient that you're worried about?

no problem at all to leave it for a few more months

what chemical is in yeast nutrient that you're worried about?
Hmm I'd like to know that too and I'm a bit of a no chemical guy too (for consumption and gardening) in case you haven't noticed.
I'm guessing Diammonium Phosphate, but that's used in wine and food production on a regular basis.
I thought the rest was mainly dead yeast and vitamins.

Latest posts

Back