Lollies In Your Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Not exactly something I'm going to rush out and do.
Skittles in your beer anyone ? Skittlebrau

So whos done it here ? :p

Beers,
Doc

I had a six month old bottle of midstrength in the fridge that some one left after a party and my room mate brought some skittles home. I had watched that Simpsons episode a few days earlier and just had to try it. The result was a weird coloured slightly sweet beer which was probably slightly better than the original, and white skittles at the end. Oh and the head was massive but lasted only a few seconds.

I have used a variety of different Jelly beans as a substitute for carbonation sugar. Not whole batches, just a few here & there. red, purple or blue jelly beans in a Wheat beer is great, black ones in stout works too.
Cheers
Gerard

Doc said:

Beers,
Doc
[post="102120"][/post]​

I am ashamed to admit, but I once made jellybean beer - in clear bottles no less!

The theory was that the glocose in one jellybean would be enough to prime a stubby of homebrew. In this much at least the plan worked. :D

The beer I was botling was a simple K+K light ale. The jellybeans prvided just the right level of carbonation for the bottles, and also some interesting colours and flavours. - each beer took on the colour and flavour of the jellybean used eg: lime, raspberry, aniseed (Yuck!), etc... They were a great hit with my tigtarse housemates (girls) because of their pretty colours and non-beery flavours.

Probably the worst bit was the dregs from the bottles tho.

After sitting in a bottle of beer for a couple of months, what remains is some sort of colourless muck that vaugly resembles a mutated jellybean. These things certainly weren't for eating, and were totally discusting. :p Just wrong.

That wasn't the last 'flavoured beer tho... there has also been coffee beer (using coffee concentrate in the bottles) - some of my coffee mad friends liked those, and chilli beer (too damned hot to drink)

Have heard of priming with Black jellybeans too.

Also heard of chucking 'Nerds' in flat beer for a fiz.

But how on earth do you lure them away from their computers? :ph34r:

Warren -

Gerard_M said:
I have used a variety of different Jelly beans as a substitute for carbonation sugar. Not whole batches, just a few here & there. red, purple or blue jelly beans in a Wheat beer is great, black ones in stout works too.
Cheers
Gerard
[post="102126"][/post]​

Thats bloody brilliant,I'll be trialing this on at least 2 of each of my paler brews from now on.

danbeer said:
Doc said:

Beers,
Doc
[post="102120"][/post]​

Probably the worst bit was the dregs from the bottles tho.

After sitting in a bottle of beer for a couple of months, what remains is some sort of colourless muck that vaugly resembles a mutated jellybean. These things certainly weren't for eating, and were totally discusting. :p Just wrong.

[post="102129"][/post]​

i agree, i went down the jelly bean road.

i had the misfortune to get some of that alien snot residue in my mouth...

:eek:

ruserious

I know someone who did a jellybean stout once... and forgot to compensate for the extra sugar.

wow i was just reading this and cant beleive you guys r serious ...i cant wait to try it....awsome.

I admit that I have primed stout with black jelly beans. Got the better jelly beans with glucose. The flavour was nastly and the "alien snot" in the bottom of the bottles was plain evil.

In case U haven't seen it yet (shameless self-promotion), there is a thread for fizzy drink beer, using Coke, Passiona etc. I recently primed a batch of Kitzenbitz witbier with a large bottle of de-gassed Passionfruit lolly water. Not too shabby so far...yep I've been tasting it while it's still green, or is that yellow?

See Insane Fizzy Cordial beers and feel free to contribute.

Would not recommend the CocaCola porter, even though I gave Stephen (from Medowie) a bottle to take home (amongst a selection of other beer) after our brew/ tasting session last night.

Seth out :p

mate i must be a serious green horn..cant a wait to try the jelly beens,do they taste ok there weizguy????

Weizguy said:
Would not recommend the CocaCola porter, even though I gave Stephen (from Medowie) a bottle to take home (amongst a selection of other beer) after our brew/ tasting session last night.

Seth out :p
[post="102268"][/post]​

Watch this space. I will be providing a tasting report on the CocaCola porter very shortly.

(And the beauty of my job is that I get a free funeral and my estate doesn't have to pay any fringe benefits tax...)

Steve

jase0_1 said:
mate i must be a serious green horn..cant a wait to try the jelly beens,do they taste ok there weizguy????
[post="102269"][/post]​
Not thoroughly recommended. Certainly added an extra (unwanted) flavour to an otherwise OK beer.

Try it... As the saying goes - Your Mileage May Vary.

Seth :ph34r:

I posted a link to this thread on a US forum and got a couple of replies that seemed to make sense.The gelatine in jelly beans is probably the snotty residue in the bottom.

http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read.php?thr...37176&id=637997

So in the name of science :unsure: I went through the kids lolly cupboard( you know, the one with all the lollies from birthday parties and christmas stockings that you confiscate and put in an elevated place to prevent the kids from scoffing em all at once and buggin out),and i found skittles and oompahs that are flavoured and basically glucose and maltodextrin and don't contain gelatin.
Thinkin of tryin em out instead of jelly beans.

Any other takers?

Brauluver said:
<abbrev> i found skittles and oompahs that are flavoured and basically glucose and maltodextrin and don't contain gelatin.
Thinkin of tryin em out instead of jelly beans.

Any other takers?</abbrev>
[post="102463"][/post]​

Sure, what goes well in a malty/ Goldings-y English Pale and/or a fruity/phenolic weizen to be bottled soon?

Seth (I'm up for it)

Yeah I've got an aussie pale that I'm racking 2morrow and definitely planning to prime a couple o' stubbies(come bottlin time) with with some oompahs.
Green apple and lemon are lookin the goods for a trial.
My next brew is a dunkel weizen so i may prime a couple with orange and strawberry.

Look forward to this crazy experiment and future tasting notes Seth.

Brau(I'm up for an experiment) luver :eek:

Weizguy

I tried the Cocacola Porter tonight. The initial aroma is that of a can of coke that has been opened a while. After that I couldn't pick up anything else - the aroma was that dominant. The initial taste came on as the porter but quickly switched to a coke/beer shandy taste. There seemed to be a hint of some sweet sugary flavour possibly from the preservatives/artificial sugars that Coke use in their product. The after taste was that of a stale coke - possibly brought on by flattening the coke and possibly oxidisation during the brewing process.

Other than that it was consumed and definitely not up there with what you gave me to sample the other night.

Regards

Steve

Latest posts

Back