Lobethal Bierhaus

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Certainly is correct Wee Stu, the two guys behind the venture are both ex executives and i know one of them (Alistair) spent a considerable time studying brewing in America.

I thought Alistair was a male stripper with Man Power in his former life....

Scotty

We checked it out a few weekends ago, enjoyed the India Pale Ale and the Porter greatly. Good bitterness in the IPA. 2L bottles were not cheap and i think it was $25 for a refill once brought back empty.

Good to check out though if up in the hills for sure...

Cheers.

If you are near the city, the Kings Head hotel just sells S.A. Beer, so there is Gulf, Brew Boys, Lobethal, Steam Exchange & (shudder) Coopers all on tap and in bottles.

i grabbed all the lobethal beers when i was down in adelaide recently - really well made beers, although there might have been a slight issue with the wheat at bottling. the porter is sitting there next to a bottle of brewboys ace of spades waiting for a cold evening.

http://www.ratebeer.com/View-User-1813.htm

2L bottles were not cheap and i think it was $25 for a refill once brought back empty.
I've got 2 that I paid $37.50 for. From memory they were $20 for a refill last time I was there. I just fill them up with my own beer now!

My favourite of the Lobethal Bierhaus beers is probably the IPA, followed by the porter.

Did the range when I was up there for my 30th along with some tasty Buffalo wings...def preferred the IPA, followed by the APA and then the porter...need to go again.

I picked up a 4 pack of IPA from Lobethal today only to find that all 4 bottles were gushers! (although not major ones). Shame to waste any of such a nice drop, but it's good to know I'm not the only one with this problem ;) Once it settled down and we got it all off the carpet it was very nice (no I didn't drink any off the carpet), and I had a pint of their hefeweizen too and was pretty impressed. Noticeably nicer than imports like franziskaner imo.

This seems as good a place as any to update something...

Lobethal_DoubleHopping.JPG

:icon_drool2:
icon_drool2.gif
icon_drool2.gif
icon_drool2.gif
The standard Bierhaus IPA, hopped within an inch of its life with Cascade (and perhaps Goldings, can't recall).

After my USA tour, I craved some more good IIPAs - this seems to be as close as I've found in Australia. Tried a bit from the tap in the fridge, and couldn't resist re-swapping my returned growler. This one's not gonna last long.

On a side note, if you're in Adelaide and you've got a IIPA that you think is a bit okay, why not enter it in the November AWBCA comp? <shameless>

I hear ya... cracked a growler of the double hopped IPA with a blue cheese and rosemary pizza on the side a few months ago. :kooi:

Certainly is correct Wee Stu, the two guys behind the venture are both ex executives and i know one of them (Alistair) spent a considerable time studying brewing in America.
There are no longer two men behind this venture, Alistair is now the sole owner having bought out his partner.
Inside information tells me it was amicable and had to do with one partner looking at expansion while the other was happy with how things currently stand.
Cheers
Nige

I've said this before but just got back from having a glass of the double hopped IPA and it's probably my favourite beer right now. Heaps of hop flavour up front but amazingly well balanced. I burped in the car and back seat passenger could smell hops :kooi:

I've said this before but just got back from having a glass of the double hopped IPA and it's probably my favourite beer right now. Heaps of hop flavour up front but amazingly well balanced. I burped in the car and back seat passenger could smell hops :kooi:

Agree, a very nice beer and quite well balanced.

With beers stocks low i may have to buy some of this if it comes in bottles. :icon_drunk:

What is really scary (for the walltet) is the Lobethal will be midway between our new place and Smurto's... almost my new local pub (in 3 weeks).

Balhannah! (Madly finishing reno's here so we can rent this place out. Its insane here atm!).

Back on topic, I am still a fan of their normal India Pale Al. Mmm tasty!

Balhannah! (Madly finishing reno's here so we can rent this place out. Its insane here atm!).

Back on topic, I am still a fan of their normal India Pale Al. Mmm tasty!

you never told me that you could play a banjo :ph34r:

but the beirhaus is worth a visit or 3

Latest posts

Back