Lobethal Bierhaus

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
July 14th..... i could almost walk there if it wasnt a mite frosty in the evenings. Driven past a few times.

I play footy in Hahndorf that day so could go there via grumpys! Does 2 micros count as a pub crawl?

Cheers
DrSmurto

just to fill everyone in, DrGonzo suggests we take the more direct but scenic route to Lobethal.
Friday night in peak hour. PISSING with rain, rivers are flowing down cliffs on one side, a river over the road and flowing down a cavern on the other. 40kms top speed, still with an idiot in a WRX up your arse :blink: kinda driving.

I reckon I know the road, though on hills roads I'm usually the idiot up y..err.. right behind.

My old man has been sending me SMS updates every time he goes there, mildly annoyed that they did not have the decency to open while I was still in town.

and we can always send you some more updates (and some tasting descriptions ...)if you want Kai.... :p

Yes....yes I am a *******........ :D

have you noticed how great everything is in SA once you left Kai? :p
MooBrew, Lobethal, Big Brew Parties :)

Screwtop gave be the drum a week or so ago - sounds fantastic. And then he told me about BRBs "man-shed and subterrainean man-labrynth"! Whoah!

What is it with SA and beer? You guys do it well. :beerbang:

Is because the competition with the wine industry makes it like comparing manhood in the urinal?
InCider.

BTW thats BYB :party:

Hi All,

Does anyone know who is behind this venture? Who is the master brewer there? Anyone from here?

Cheers BDB

From memory, and vague memory at that, I seem to recall the guys are tree changers of a sort.

Got them selves set up in the corporate or financial sector, had enough of it and quit to live the dream.

Went to the States and got some work/study experience with breweries over there as part of a work experience type of study course.

Came back, set up a brewery, and now, by all accounts, are bringing home the bacon.

Good luck to them.

Could be true.

Or could be the product of a deluded psyche.

awrabest,

wee stu,
hoping he remembers how to brew sometime soon.

Good to see you again Stu.
Back from a brewing void?

From memory, and vague memory at that, I seem to recall the guys are tree changers of a sort.

Got them selves set up in the corporate or financial sector, had enough of it and quit to live the dream.

Went to the States and got some work/study experience with breweries over there as part of a work experience type of study course.

Came back, set up a brewery, and now, by all accounts, are bringing home the bacon.

Good luck to them.

Could be true.

Or could be the product of a deluded psyche.

bit harsh Stu :huh:
it's not like they're Govt employees trying to join the Circus!

bit harsh Stu :huh:
it's not like they're Govt employees trying to join the Circus!

No criticism, implied or otherwise, intended.

Just a quick synopsis of their story, as I recall it.

I sincerely wish them all good luck. By all accounts they have made the most of any study and work experience.

So, not critical - maybe a little green eyed, that I will admit too.

I already work for a circus, it just happens to be Government run :p

I am going there on Saturday with my Dad.

I am in the area to say goodbye to Grandpa, so Dad and I will be having one for him, although being scottish he would rather we had a whisky on him.

Slinte mhr agad

you'd have to ask an accountant, numbers deliberately escape me because they bore me shitless but i'm sure some paper shuffler here made a mental note of expenditure and consumption.

That sounds similar to sort of excuse you make when you get lost in the hills.

what are they charging for a schooey $$$ wise ?

S.A pints are $6.50 I seem to recall, no idea of the smaller size prices.

Got your Dio tickets yet Mr bond?

Jayse

If you think the price of a schooner is a going concern,
wait till you pay for your sabbath tickets.
It's gonna be awesome though at the Thebby.

have you noticed how great everything is in SA once you left Kai? :p
MooBrew, Lobethal, Big Brew Parties :)

Not to be too pedantic but Moo Brew is from Tassie

Aren't SA Pints the size of our midi's :) That makes it pretty expensive

Finally made it to Lobethal and had lunch at the bierhaus.
Beers were great, new IPA was on which is apparently a recent addition.
There is wall to wall bling in the brauhaus - I can't believe that they have a stainless gist case above the mash tun - stainless for stainless sake and a great waste of what would make a fine conical!
Hopefully the hefe I made last Monday is up to their standard.

Well this is the latest thread for the Lobethal so I'll post here!

Had the Hefeweizen (bottle) tonight, bottled May 08.

Looks and tastes like it would have been a brilliant hefeweizen in its hey-day! Nice tartness in the finish, big carbonation and what is left of the ester profile is banana-dominant :D

Cheers.

Well this is the latest thread for the Lobethal so I'll post here!

Had the Hefeweizen (bottle) tonight, bottled May 08.

Looks and tastes like it would have been a brilliant hefeweizen in its hey-day! Nice tartness in the finish, big carbonation and what is left of the ester profile is banana-dominant :D

Cheers.
I too recently picked up a few of their beers. The Hefeweizen (same batch Bottled May 2008) was particularly good.
Also tried their IPA and Porter which weren't too bad, and their APA which I was probably most impressed with...closer to being an AAA, which just arn't common place downunder!

Back