LME

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodbeer

Reaction score
Hello all

I have done 5 brews now, all very acceptable, without being amazing.

Have just been using the brew shop's own LME, as it is quite cheap.

Would I get better results by spending a touch more and getting brand Extract? Or is it much of a muchness?

Cheers

It's their own brand, so not actually a commercial brand as such. It's about $7kg

Goodbeer said:
It's their own brand, so not actually a commercial brand as such. It's about $7kg
It might be their "own brand", but do they make it? Or just repackage bulk LME?

Given the difference between cheap and expensive LME might be 5 bucks a kg, it's worth considering that after maybe 2 brews you've paid the equivalent of a 19l Big W pot. I'm not familiar with high quality LME but I'm pretty sure average brewing skills + all grain is gonna beat average brewing skills + expensive LME.

2c

Spiesy I don't know, I just had a look on their website, doesn't say, I guess I should find out.

Reason I'm asking is a recipe I was looking at the other day called for a "high quality malt extract such as briess", and started wondering if maybe I was selling myself a bit short by going the cheaper option.

Would always be happier to spend a touch more for better quality, but is there any need?

Stakka all grain is the aim, just gonna get a few more brews under my belt before I take that road.

Goodbeer said:
Would always be happier to spend a touch more for better quality, but is there any need?
Guess that depends on whether you want your beers to be great or just good. ;)

I want them to be as good as they can be.

Obviously 5 brews in my knowledge and understanding isn't massive, so anyway to get an edge would be good...

So maybe going a brand would be the go...

Build your knowledge and understanding of brews and brewing by adding or substituting ingredients to what you can afford,to what you have been using.
You will be surprised at what you will make by experimenting with LME.

Latest posts

Back