Liver Problems

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes my beer drinking was giving my liver heaps of grief so i had it removed.problem solved. :p
actually truth be known since going ag sometime back ive been drinking way too much if thats possible so have lately been endevouring to reduce my beer consumption.will have to check back at the end of this year to see if ive done ok.

cheers
big d

Kramer said:
and have cut down my drinking to at the most 3 - 6 beers a day during the week if I have some, the weekends is a different story though.

[post="106350"][/post]​

Define 3-6 beers in terms of "actual" volume in the glass? We all as homebrewers and homedrinkers definitely don't conform to the standard pub measure. B)

Read; our 3-6 would be pushing 500ml measures in realistic terms. Not the standard 180-270ml or so politically-correct measure. :ph34r:

Food and big measures for thought. ;)

Warren -

Kramer
I have had a 6 month break from drinking due to a medical condition, & after a bit of an adjustment I found that I was enjoying cooking just as much as brewing!
I guess everything in moderation works for most of us, I found many years ago that by going all-grain I had alot more respect for the beer I was making, and you slow down a little as a result
cheers
Gerard

yeah, i reckon i'm drinking less now i'm all grain
i think it's skinny french woman syndrome
why are french women skinny? they respect their food and eat a portion, not treat it as a cheap happy drug to be shovelled in whenever they need a sugar rush.

Had major problems with my liver when I was your age (around 26). First had problems when I was 12, so it is not entirely drinking to blame. Ended up in hospital for a week. Still take a few different pills from time to time to keep things in order.

Lot of issues involved of course, but I stopped drinking for 6 months, cut out any caffine drinks, drink plenty of water and sorted the diet out. Brought me back to life.

I pretty much stick to the above, although I'm back to drinking a couple of times a week (occasionaly binges, but normally just 3-4 beers) until I feel myself getting sick, then I have to take a break. It sucks, but hey, when I remember what it was like at my sickest, I don't want to go through that again.

Thanks for all the support guys :beerbang: I will be giving up for at least a month after this weekend, I can't start today as I am going camping, and camping in 35 degree heat without beer is a sin! :) .

I think my iron levels will be fine as it only came on for my father and uncle after 40 years old. I was just keeping an eye on it.

Gerard I love cooking, I am the only one in the house that cooks as I like to eat food! Not some pre-packaged thing the missus gets out of the freezer and heats up. (she used to be a kitchen hand and now hates cooking)

Hey mate be Careful of those Bundy Medicos, :excl: :ph34r:

I used to live near there and 2 times had funny diagnoses.

First one (funny haha) they were prepping me for appendix out,
and they discovered that it was just a water bug ??

Hepatic conditions are tricky, and if you are run down or something
the tests may not be accurate.

Moderate beer is good for the brain.

go hard mate.

cheers 501 :beer:

Kramer said:
But I can drink 15 Golds and not have a worry about going to work the next day!

I really don't won't to give up brewing any help?

[post="106327"][/post]​

Mate,

The answer is right in front of you........get off the 'GOLDS'... :p ;)

I've also got a history of heamachromatosis in my family - so far all the tests show that i have escaped it, which is good as i hate giving blood (the main treatment for the disease).
I got quite ill a couple of years ago, and my liver tests also were shocking - the docs told me to stop drinking or i'd be dead by 40 :)
So i cut down a heap (didn't stop) and drank lots of water - 6 months later my tests were massively improved (although still slightly high). I'm still fine, just don't drink the massive amounts that i used to.

Prussia is my ancestors neck of the woods Kramer - yep, definitely piss heads
Cutting down on the big big sessions will help a heap, and as mentioned, diet, caffeine, asprin/paracetamol etc. all have a contributing factor.
A friend of mine just showed me her "Liver cleansing diet" book. I used to think that was a load of hippy alarmest poncey rubbish to be washed down with a steak, butter and loads of alcohol
but she reckons she and her friend did it and after 4 weeks they felt like a million dollars (in used notes) so maybe there's some truth in it after all.

I did the liver cleansing diet about three years ago - not strictly though - cause I was still drinking. However - I felt so good I was jumping out of my skin. I wouldn't do it for any more than three months though (boring...)

My liver function improved through that time - but not dramatically. It's all about how you feel though. A trade off I guess...

ive had problems with my liver but mine was caused by glandular fever and a few other problems at the time. i was looking at a liver transplant but i gave up drinking for 12 months instead

how long did it take you to get over glandular fever?
any tips?

it took me 12 months to get back to close to 100% and over 5months to get back to work on half days but i was the worst case they had ever seen. take it slow dont try too hard to get back to 100%

I've had glandular fever... the only benifit i saw was being able to age beer without temptation (and the fact i couldnt friggin move, no more beer made in that period) Hurts like hell i found!

I got glandular fever on my wedding night! My joints were getting stiff all through the day, but I thougth it was just because I'd been on my feet all day. By the end of the reception I was so stiff I looked like a sailor who just got off a ship.

We got to the secluded country wedding night venue, ran a nice large hot spa, then proceeded to jump in, armed with champagne and strawberries. As soon as I hit the hot water, my knees locked up, and I was screaming in pain.

So the rest of our wedding night was spent changing ice packs every hour or so, until we could get back to civilisation and see a doc. I really had to go all out to make up for it on our 1st anniversary!

tangent said:
how long did it take you to get over glandular fever?
any tips?
[post="107856"][/post]​

Yeah, don't get on the piss while you're still recovering.

my brother has it and we've been planning to catch up and have a good session for months. Might be a session on the OJ instead :(

edit - no stiffy wedding night jokes barfridge?

How many other caffeine addicts are there here? I'm giving up the coffee (I used to drink 6-7 really strong cups of Mocona a day) just to help my liver have more time to metabolise beer. I realised I was overdoing both, so rather than kick the beer, I've decided to kick the coffee. Sleeping better and everything now. Coolios :D

PoMo.

Don't give up the coffee, just give up the instant. :blink:

That stuff's terrible. Freshly crushed beans restore your faith. :) Can't vouch for your liver though. :lol:

Warren -

PoMo,

Or make a nice mocha porter & kill 2 birds with one stone :chug:

Latest posts

Back