Little Creatures

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alpha ale too isnt the beer it used to be. It came out about 4 or 5 years ago as a seasonal beer and was much better. Last time a tried alpha it was way to grassy and not nearly citrusy enough for my liking. Also not as bitter as it used to be. Id guess theyre using alot of chinook or similar really late but not enough earlier on. Just a thought
I'd have agree with that statement also.
First time I tried AA was on tap around 3 years ago. Only had it off tap once since, and it didn't compare, and the bottled version, well no better.
Yet again, still a great beer though! :)

LCPA = Ohh how tasty, hopped up beer - sort of like SNPA!!

SNPA = Perfectly hopped and still the same

LCPA = We need more of it coz of sales so i say = taste change!

IMO = above!

Oh my god I hope butters is wrong.... Is this my last post!
<_<

I had a LCPA on tap a few months back for the first time in about a year. I thought it was great. Fresh and had me wanting another.

I am not sure if it has changed over the years.

I think that memory is not an acurate tool for measuring if a beer has changed. Especially when it was a few years ago.

Kabooby :)

Our palates change too. I can remember as a youngster on a camping trip gagging down Steinlager, shocked by how bitter it was. I reckon it probably wasn't all that bitter really.

I have a wine cellar full of SA shiraz... overly oaked, sweet and goopy muck that I don't like much these days.

Our palates change too.

Very true dig, however I did think it was a little "thinner" last time. Still love the Bright and Rogers though. When it comes to hop bitterness, my palate swings about, sometimes I can't get enough and look for IPA's, then after a while can't stand hoppy beers and look for the maltier styles. Generally for a housie I have something crisp and light bodied hopped in the low 20's on tap as a sessionable. Guess we're bloody lucky to have such a selection eh, anyone remember the beer strike of the 70's :lol:

Screwy

Alpha ale too isnt the beer it used to be. It came out about 4 or 5 years ago as a seasonal beer and was much better. Last time a tried alpha it was way to grassy and not nearly citrusy enough for my liking. Also not as bitter as it used to be. Id guess theyre using alot of chinook or similar really late but not enough earlier on. Just a thought

That would be because the man owns it now.

this happened to snowy mountains beers also, the cracken back and the razorback especially, the razorback red had stacks of simcoe flavour (shut up, i love it) when i tried it at the food and wine festival, a year later in the bottle and it was bland as. The pale ale is still fruity but nothing on what it had.

:lol:

Last time i posted about a comercial lot like this i got a nasty PM from them (coopers)

Waiting for the message :)

cheers

Can we have a read :rolleyes: Do you still have it? Would be a hoot! lol

I tried my first ever bottled LCPA a few months back after years of hearing good things about it, was it good ?

I'm in no rush to buy another. What I tasted was a fair but uninspiring Pale Ale . It lacked a malt profile it had nothing to note about it, it seemed to have no bitterness but this strong cacade aroma & flavour that dominated the beer with nothing behind it, it was like drinking hop flavour wih no malt or bitterness backing it up more like a cascade perfumed blandness.
If that is what it's supposed to be then I'm dissapointed that it has such a reputation. Mind you I've found the same thing with JS Pilsner & Golden Ale, great beers sometimes but the consistency is out the window & shite at other times.
At least with the bigger commercial breweries you know what you will be getting day in day out.

My 2c worth , now I can let it be.

Lagers

Mate, in LC defence, that's what an APA generally is, i will dispute though that it has no bitterness.

At least with the bigger commercial breweries you know what you will be getting day in day out.

My 2c worth , now I can let it be.

Lagers

Thats easy when you're brewing bland beers with lots of adjuncts........... Isn't LCPA a "craft beer"? :huh:

I've always taken that to mean an art rather than a science.

I think LCPA is a fine beer. But Alpha Ale is better, the reason being that AA is probably hoppier but has more malt body, my guess is more crystal. But then AA is twice the price of LCPA. If I was into American style ales (which I am) then I'd be trying to make something like AA (which I am).

+1 Patrick - you saved me typing it myself. :D

for me i think of LCPA as a "gateway drug" it introduces to average beer drinker into a style they probably otherwise wouldn't have tried

for me i think of LCPA as a "gateway drug" it introduces to average beer drinker into a style they probably otherwise wouldn't have tried

I am this average beer drinker you speak of and that is exactly how it went down. Next stop was Murrays Nirvana. Now, I spend my day thinking bout my next hit.

Stop your whining and brew yourselves an APA.
It's AUSSIEHOMEBREWER for Allah's sakes <_< !

C&B
TDA

No i have no problems with any other beer i have tried in my drinking life tasting different.

JS amber ale still tastes the same. Tooheys new still tastes the same.

One thing i can do is remember what a beer tasted like a long time ago. Its how i memorise what differences different ingredients make to the beers i brew and then use this to re-formulate and ballance the recipes!

I remember drinking LCPA and it was a darker colour and mlatier. It had a rounder body but the same hop flavour it has now. The rounder body held up the hops but the last couple i have tried have been like a pale thin watery lager with high bitterness. This makes the hops harsh and stick out like a sore thumb.

cheers

Edit: used bys were 6 months awar or around that........ but they were not old bottles.

Excuse me.... WHAT ABOUT JS GOLDEN ALE.... totally different beer then when it was released as a limited release on Summer.

Anyhow I had 4 pints of the lovely LCPA yesterday (straight from the brewery itself, living in Fremantle does have its plus's. No complaints...

And the place is looking fantastic... Rumors of something starting up in Melbourne. New beers and all apparently.

And the place is looking fantastic... Rumors of something starting up in Melbourne. New beers and all apparently.

New brewery opening in Healesville (an hour east of Melbourne) and the new LC Dining Hall is open in Brunswick Street, Fitzroy (no brewery, just a booz'n and eat'n joint).

Excuse me.... WHAT ABOUT JS GOLDEN ALE.... totally different beer then when it was released as a limited release on Summer.

Anyhow I had 4 pints of the lovely LCPA yesterday (straight from the brewery itself, living in Fremantle does have its plus's. No complaints...

Sep 20 2008, 09:17 AM Post #40

Hey Katie, did you see this post in reply to you a while ago?

QUOTE (Katie @ Sep 16 2008, 04:00 PM)
I know this is a tiny bit of topic and pretty sure it's being mentioned before.... BUT Im a little upset.

I have not had a JSGA out of a bottle for quite some time... but the first time I did I LOVED IT... That was when it was a limited addition. I drank it all that Summer.

This has happened before but I thought I would give it another go just last week at the Norfolk I had a pint of JSGA... I know it's a low carbed beer but it seemed flat and really really bland I could not pick up on Amarillo at all. I could only drink half a pint... This is the third time this has happened and only from the tap....

Hey Katie,
After reading this thread I decided to have a JS Golden here in Sydney. I too am a fan - or should that be ex-fan. I had it off the tap at the Bank Hotel Newtown. Yep, its gone all bland and boring. No more punch. The Pilsener was still very good though.
mckenry

Latest posts

Back