Little Creatures Style

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSB

Reaction score
Can anyone help me out with a K&K recipe for a beer that mimics the Little Creatures style. My son brought some homw with him from uni and I cannot believe the aromatic fruitiness of it. Can it be reproduced by K&K ? Your advice would be welcomed.
:beer:

Can anyone help me out with a K&K recipe for a beer that mimics the Little Creatures style. My son brought some homw with him from uni and I cannot believe the aromatic fruitiness of it. Can it be reproduced by K&K ? Your advice would be welcomed.
:beer:
hi try this...is as close as i can get
BEER TYPE: Coopers Pale Ale /LCPA
METHOD: Kit and kilo
INGREDIENTS: Tin: Coopers Pale Ale (1.7kg)

Sugars: 750g Light Dried Malt*, 250g dextrose,

Hops: CASCADE HOPS 14G @10 mins
AMARILLO HOPS 10G @10 mins
CASCADE HOPS 14G @ FLAME OUT
AMARILLO HOPS 10G @ FLAME OUT

SPECIALTY GRAINS.STEEPED FOR 25 MINS CRYSTAL MALT 250G +CARAPILS 100G FOR HEAD RETENTION

Yeast: safale US 56 yeast 11.5g (18/c)#

NOTE:MAKE SURE YOU BOIL THE RESULTING LIQUID FROM THE SPECIALTY GRAINS FOR 15 MINS OR SO TO KILL ANY NASTIES
cheers simpletotoro

hi try this...is as close as i can get
BEER TYPE: Coopers Pale Ale /LCPA
METHOD: Kit and kilo
INGREDIENTS: Tin: Coopers Pale Ale (1.7kg)

Sugars: 750g Light Dried Malt*, 250g dextrose,

SPECIALTY GRAINS.STEEPED FOR 25 MINS CRYSTAL MALT 250G +CARAPILS 100G FOR HEAD RETENTION

Yeast: safale US 56 yeast 11.5g (18/c)#
NOTE:MAKE SURE YOU BOIL THE RESULTING LIQUID FROM THE SPECIALTY GRAINS FOR 15 MINS OR SO TO KILL ANY NASTIES
cheers simpletotoro

Thanks Simpletotro for your help

what does this mean?

Definitely, but you will need hops, specifically cascade and chinook. LPCA is an American pale ale, so check out the APA thread in flavour of the week for more information.

Your local homebrew shop should sell 100g bags of hops for about 5 dollars. A simple K + K for a LCPA would be something like this:

Can Cooper's Pale Ale beer kit, kilo of dried light malt extract, cascade for flavour, and some chinook to throw in towards the end of the boil.

Should get you in the ballpark.

Thanks Simpletotro for your help

what does this mean?

hi
this is what you do ok..
take 250 g LDM add it to 1 1/2 litres of water bring to the boil in a saucepan or to the liquid you got from your specialty grains (note boil this liquid from specialty grains vigorously for 10-15 mins first though)....(watch for boil over... do not walk away from it ) when it boils turn down heat till its a rolling boil...not vigorous just ticking over... bung in your first lot of cascade hops(14g) and amarillo hops(10g) rolling boil for another 10 mins turn off heat (if using electic stove remove from heat ) then add your next lot of cascade hops (14g) and
amarillo hops (10g) ...put lid on saucepan and immerse pot in chilled water bath to cool the whole thing down (do not lift the lid ...if you want to see how hot the liquid is inside pot feel the side...you may have to repeat the water bath several times to cool it down then add to you fermenter with other sugars ..tin of goo cool to pitching temp (in this case 18-20/c )...pitch yeast ...ferment at 16-20/c till ready... bottle then drink
any other questions feel free to ask ok
cheers simpletotoro

No amarillo in LCPA.

Safest bet would be a Grumpys Boston Cream for a K'n'K equivalent.

as Mr Bond said, no amarillo in lcpa. cascade and chinook is what you need.

grab a basic pale ale can, 1kg light malt, 200g of light crystal and some cascade and chinook hops.

steep the crystal for half an hour in 2L or so of 70C water. rinse the grain, and in the resulting liquor boil 20g of cascade and 20g of chinook for half an hour, then right at the end add another 20g of cascade, then strain and add to the carboy with the can and the 1kg malt. fill to 23L and ferment with us-05 yeast.

should give you something similar.

As a starting point, try an ESB APA "paint tin" kit. Check use by date, make sure it's fresh & use the us56 yeast under the lid.
From there you can add hops or grains to taste.
Cheers
Mark

as Mr Bond said, no amarillo in lcpa. cascade and chinook is what you need.

I don't know why people insist LCPA has chinook

Batz

This is what brewcraft suggest ....

LITTLE CREATURES
PALE ALE
Black Rock Pilsner Blonde
#15 brewblend
150g wheat
*Safale US-56 yeast
15g Cascade finishing hops
10g Willamette finishing hops
20 litres

Don't know what's in the brewblend but its probably not very exotic.
The finishing hops are like tea bags. You steep them in some water and then dump them.
But simpletoro's idea will give a better result.

If you don't have a brewcraft nearby or think they are anathema then I'm
sure you local HBS could fix you up with something similar.

There's a long thread on grumpy's where someone from LC volunteers info. and there
is no chinook and no willamette either for that matter.

I don't know why people insist LCPA has chinook

Batz

This old post from Grumpys by an employee of the Company would be a fairly good reason ;)

"Name: Little Creatures Brewery
Date: 30-08-04 10:59

No chinook in the boil, only in whole hop flower form in the hop back. Cascade whole hop flowers along with it. You wont find either of the strains that we use here in Australia as we bring them in specifically for our own use. They do come from Portland Oregan and they are vacume sealed and stay in a customs controlled quarantine on site in the brewery. Even if anyone could get somone to send them some from ther US customs would be right on to it. Even after we have used them the go into special bins and customs comes and takes them away for disposal."

Edit: & a little more brew info here:

"Name: Little Creatures Brewery
Date: 27-08-04 10:34

We use cascades and goldings in the kettle and whole hop flowers (which is the hard part), in our hopback. IBU is 35ish. Quantities and the rest are under lock and key. Have fun,. "

Cheers Ross

hi
this is what you do ok..
take 250 g LDM add it to 1 1/2 litres of water bring to the boil in a saucepan or to the liquid you got from your specialty grains (note boil this liquid from specialty grains vigorously for 10-15 mins first though)....(watch for boil over... do not walk away from it ) when it boils turn down heat till its a rolling boil...not vigorous just ticking over... bung in your first lot of cascade hops(14g) and amarillo hops(10g) rolling boil for another 10 mins turn off heat (if using electic stove remove from heat ) then add your next lot of cascade hops (14g) and
amarillo hops (10g) ...put lid on saucepan and immerse pot in chilled water bath to cool the whole thing down (do not lift the lid ...if you want to see how hot the liquid is inside pot feel the side...you may have to repeat the water bath several times to cool it down then add to you fermenter with other sugars ..tin of goo cool to pitching temp (in this case 18-20/c )...pitch yeast ...ferment at 16-20/c till ready... bottle then drink
any other questions feel free to ask ok
cheers simpletotoro

Thanks so much for explaining this for me. It sounds simple enough and I will give it a go

here are 2 LCPA recipes ive collected. yet to try

LCPA (Dr Smurto's)
1 tin Morgans Stockmans Draught
1.5 kg of Coopers Pale Malt Extract (Liquid)
15g of Cascade pellets - 15min
10g Cluster pellets - 15 min
US56 Yeast.
12g of Chinook Pellets (dry hopped).

LCPA clone (sort of)
Morgans Stockmans Draught
1.5 kg of Morgans Extra Pale Malt Extract (Liquid)
250g of light crystal
12g of Chinook pellets & on heat for 15 Minutes with Malt and can of Draught.
US56 Yeast.
30g of Cascade Pellets (dry hopped at rack).

Or use amarillo all the way 20g at 15, 5 and dry hop (not really a lcpa if u use amarillo)

LCPA clone (sort of)
Morgans Stockmans Draught
1.5 kg of Morgans Extra Pale Malt Extract (Liquid)
250g of light crystal
12g of Chinook pellets & on heat for 15 Minutes with Malt and can of Draught.
US56 Yeast.
30g of Cascade Pellets (dry hopped at rack).

this recipe's closest to the mark IMO. I've made a few partial LCPA clones, and the Cascade/Chinook combination is pretty close to the mark. Don't go overboard with the Chinook - 12g for a 5 minute boil, and a whole HEAP of Cascade in the boil and dry-hop works well.

Amarillo and Willemette will give you something quite different to LCPA style, though fantastic in their own right.
Willemette has a very interesting character and also works well with Cascade.

Just adding another clone LCPA recipe to the list. I've tried this one and it came out fairly close.

1 x Coopers Australaian Pale Ale kit
1kg Light Dry Malt Extract
250g Dextrose
1 x Morgans Cascade hops 'teabag', steeped 10 minutes then thown into fermenter (bag and all)
1 x Morgans Cascade hops 'teabag', dry-hopped.

It takes about two to three months to come good, but it's a winner after then!

How about another one. I tried this a couple of months ago turned out great
pale ale

Dry hopped with 25 grams of Cascade in secondary. Used safale yeast.

It was ready to drink in two weeks after bottling

Regard Blue

If LCPA DOESN'T have Chinook in it I'll eat my hat. It stands out like the proverbial dog's... in a good way of course.

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my iitial query.

I just love this forum because no matter what your question or problem, there is always a heap of people who are willing to give advice in a non judgemental way.

Congratulations AHB. You are a winner. :)

Back