Little Creatures Shepherd's Delight

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a pint last Friday night at Yardbird Ale House. Was pretty underwhelmed at first as I could smell the smokiness but had a real chemical taste. As it warmed up a little the malt and smokiness seemed to work much better and ended up being a pretty decent drop.

Certainly not an Imperial IPA, but at 6.2% and an IBU that would have been at least in the 50's if not 60's, my tap pint was very much in the American IPA range. What made the bottles un-IPA like for you felten?

I don't get smoke from it at all, just a shed load of hops and an almost overpowering maltiness. I've only had it on tap at the Embassy and I fell in love with it. In fact I think the next beer I make will have to be a Red IPA; I've always stayed away from US hopped beers... Never been a fan of the hops but either a.) I've drastically changed tastes since brewing or b.) the examples I've had before were terrible.

A fantastic beer on tap; but not as bitter as I expected it's definitely malt forward and you get a nose full of toffee if anything (yes, even strong enough to get through the hops)

Yeah dunno. Maybe there was something wrong with the keg... Or my taste buds were fried by death sentence hot wings. Definitely got more malt and smokiness than hops. Love my US hops but thought they were lost in this beer.

lukiferj said:
Yeah dunno. Maybe there was something wrong with the keg... Or my taste buds were fried by death sentence hot wings. Definitely got more malt and smokiness than hops. Love my US hops but thought they were lost in this beer.
You weren't drinking a Puffing Billy were you?

Yeah no smokiness in this beer.. unless you were smoking yourself.

Had a couple pints on tap at the King St Brewhouse.

Got a big whack of cascade-ey hops, nice bit of caramel malt - good Red IPA for me.

I got alot of warm alcohol and the cascade hops.

I know it works well cause the beer was bloody cold but did give a nice warming feeling

Brew Matt said:
He he,

If you like, I will go in and make the purchase for you. If I remember correctly, Jeff is the main guy there.

Think Kramer and the peaches.

Not sure if this would be considered off topic or not but where would you start if you wanted to make something similar? I tried a bit of googling for Red IPA and got some really varied results. I'm also not all that familiar with US hops so couldn't even begin to guess at what's in there.

So far I've seen recipes that favour Munich I, Spec B, large amounts of Crystal and then any combination of hops under the sun. Anyone got any recommendations from the recipe database as a good starting point?

This looked like a pretty popular recipe; I'd just have to convert it to "normal" measurements.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/india-red-ale-160034/

Well months after everybody else we got it here in FNQ. Local Dans only got two cases and I claimed one. Found it to be quite tasty on the hop front good mix of types gives a unique flavour. Bit lacking in bitterness for my taste but a good beer anyway. Didn't enjoy it as much as Ballast Point Bigeye but that takes some beating.

Tropical_Brews said:
Well months after everybody else we got it here in FNQ. Local Dans only got two cases and I claimed one. Found it to be quite tasty on the hop front good mix of types gives a unique flavour. Bit lacking in bitterness for my taste but a good beer anyway. Didn't enjoy it as much as Ballast Point Bigeye but that takes some beating.
Me too yesterday in Grafton. I had almost given up on ever tasting this. Cost $65.99 for a carton of 12 which is a reasonable price. I did try to order this from a number of places beforehand (including DM); the smaller bottlo's tried without success, and DM's took my details but never got back to me (And said if it is not in their system, it doesn't exist). Luckily for me I came across this on the shelf. No tasting notes yet however.

Creatures Shepherds Delight on tap at my local.
Truly a golden drop...

Kincumber Hotel.

Nice one, I might have to call into the kincumber pub to try.

Was in Launceston with a few mates over the weekend and found it in a bottle shop on Sunday night after doing Cataract Gorge. Lovely beer and got it for $7 a pint. Any of you blokes down south after it they had a bit left. Was the only bottle shop between the Gorge and Irish Murpheys.

Latest posts

Back