Little Creatures Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandrake70

Reaction score
Hi all,

Have gone to bottle my Little Creatures Pale ale and noticed that it is quite cloudy. As this is only my 3rd brew , ive got no idea as to whether
it should be this cloudy. Was thinking of letting it sit in the fermenter for another few days and seeing if it clears up.

Any suggestions ? I have attached a pic. Had a taste of the beer and it didnt smell off or taste revolting although it was more bitter than I thought it
should be.

Am going to hold off bottling for the time being to see what people think.

cheers,
Simon

IMG_0057.JPG

Hi Simon,

Im sure there is nothing wrong, it it smells fine. I would leave it a few more days, lower the temp if you can and use some polyclar. That will really help clear it up.
With the bitterness i often find it will mellow a fair bit with age.

Cheers,
Shane

How long has the beer been in the fermenter?
The bitterness could be suspended yeast. If you've reached final gravity I'd recommend chilling the beer as low as possible for some days before bottling or kegging and this will help clear it up. I'm sure the beer will be fine just give it a few more days in the primary fermenter.

Cheers

That don't look done mate. there looks to be yeast active in you pix. I would leave it a few more days to a week.

The brew should "Drop Bright" as the yeast falls out.

Or you have some sediment in the tap as you took the sample.

That don't look done mate. there looks to be yeast active in you pix. I would leave it a few more days to a week.

Or you have some sediment in the tap as you took the sample.

Yes looks like the first sample out of the tap. If you are using a semi translucent fermenter like the Coopers one you should be able to see beginning to clear from the top down. It will look darker towards the top.
Cold conditioning will do the trick or if not try gelatine finnings from the Common Ground section.Link

Yes it is the first sample, I will continue to monitor it over the next week or so and see if it clears. Will try and bring the temperature down as well as it has gone up to 24 after being fermenting at 22.
Yes looks like the first sample out of the tap. If you are using a semi translucent fermenter like the Coopers one you should be able to see beginning to clear from the top down. It will look darker towards the top.
Cold conditioning will do the trick or if not try gelatine finnings from the Common Ground section.Link

Yes it is the first sample, I will continue to monitor it over the next week or so and see if it clears. Will try and bring the temperature down as well as it has gone up to 24 after being fermenting at 22.
When sediment falls it can settle in the tap, then when you take your first sample it will look murky. You should discard the first sample and take a second. I tend to hold my tube and fully open and close the tap, tip it out, then slowly open the tap to let it slowly fill up.

Latest posts

Back