Liquor Industry Brings In New Health Warnings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DU99

Reaction score
The liquor industry-funded organisation DrinkWise Australia is introducing labels displaying new consumer warnings on alcoholic drinks.

Labels will now include messages that alcohol should not be drunk by children, can cause self-harm and should be avoided by pregnant women.

The labels also include the address of the drinkwise.com.au website.

"There is some evidence overseas that labelling alone won't change everything, it needs education as well so that is why we are trying to bring the two together and bring people onto the website," DrinkWise Australia chair Trish Worth said.

Psychologist Michael Carr-Gregg says the DrinkWise campaign is positive but he believes the organisation should have consulted more widely before embarking on the label changes.

"I think what the industry are worried about is that the government might bring in more stringent, tougher labelling and might make them put them on all their advertisements as well," he said.

"Now, I'm not opposed to what DrinkWise does - I think some of the stuff they do is very good - but a cynic would suggest they're just trying to thwart tougher regulations.

That's what I thought as well when I read the report - left fielding the opposition. Clever move.

I like the UK warning on tramp lagers, something along the lines of "more than two standard drinks a day may be harmful to your health"

"Beer 9% ABV contents of can: 3.5 standard drinks"

:lol:

mmmm tramp laaaaagers :icon_drool2:

I've thought of a great idea! Why don't they make it so that we are not allowed to see any alcohol advertising on TV?
Then we could move it to no alcohol advertising or sponsorship of sport?
Then we could put ghastly pictures on the bottles to scare the kids away from booze.
Then we could insist that bottle shops are not actually allowed to display or show the booze?
Then we could make all booze come in plain packging, say in green bottles or something like that?

I suppose the group in the link is DrinkWise - not Don't Drink. Ah sorry, I guess I see it as another extension of the nanny state.

FFS, next you won't be able to go out in the sun, cause you might die!!

Unfortunately the warnings on the label have become the same as the terms and conditions on installing software - there's too many so I won't read them.

My favourite is when I pick up a bag of peanuts and it says "contains nuts". Gets me every time.

Unfortunately the warnings on the label have become the same as the terms and conditions on installing software - there's too many so I won't read them.

My favourite is when I pick up a bag of peanuts and it says "contains nuts". Gets me every time.

Peanuts are legumes.

to the person who thought of that warning: way to go, captain obvious!

Like that's going to stop kids, alcoholic pregnant mothers or alcoholics from drinking. It's not like cigarettes where hooked consumers weren't warned of the health risks (they were promoted by doctors, weren't they).

Everyone knows too many drinks are not good for you... what a waste of time and money!

Peanuts are legumes.
And testicles are meat.
Had some crumbed once in a restaurant in Haifa, personally I'd go the lambs brains in breadcrumbs. Pick those membranes out of your teeth for hours. mmmmm.

next will it be car's,big label's "this Vehicle causes death" or "this Vehicle causes cancer"..

Last laugh to the illiterate. When I was living in China I couldn't read the plastic content of the chocolate milk, now my kidneys have a crunchy outer layer like a jaffa.

So long as the warnings contain real information like:

Excessive consumption of this product could lead to chewing your arm off.

Excessive consumption of alcohol could lead to you thinking you can dance, sing karaoke well or fight

next will it be car's,big label's "this Vehicle causes death" or "this Vehicle causes cancer"..

On the driver's side sun visor of my hilux...
Hey who would let a kid in a booster seat drive? Crazy huh! :lol:

It's not like cigarettes where hooked consumers weren't warned of the health risks (they were promoted by doctors, weren't they).

And also in the old days Doctors also used to prescribe a treatment of said physician administering orgasms to women with nervous dispositions...

My favourite for megaswill:

Caution: this beverage "supposedly beer" may contain traces of malt and hops but we doubt it.

The liquor industry-funded organisation DrinkWise Australia is introducing labels displaying new consumer warnings on alcoholic drinks.

Labels will now include messages that alcohol should not be drunk by children, can cause self-harm and should be avoided by pregnant women.

"There is some evidence overseas that labelling alone won't change everything, it needs education as well so that is why we are trying to bring the two together and bring people onto the website," DrinkWise Australia chair Trish Worth said.

Psychologist Michael Carr-Gregg says the DrinkWise campaign is positive but he believes the organisation should have consulted more widely before embarking on the label changes.

"I think what the industry are worried about is that the government might bring in more stringent, tougher labelling and might make them put them on all their advertisements as well," he said.

"Now, I'm not opposed to what DrinkWise does - I think some of the stuff they do is very good - but a cynic would suggest they're just trying to thwart tougher regulations.
Surely this is a cut and paste DU lol...you never post more than one line lol :ph34r:

Im glad the big brewers did this now because the smaller brewers are going to have a heck of a time changing their labels if the government legislates this in .
Im currently helping a small beer company that contract brews their beer and they have a custom screen printed bottle and have to buy a minimum of 100,000 for each production run .

Latest posts

Back