Liquid Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homekegger1

Reaction score
G'day guys,
Just been looking into liquid yeasts as I am planning to start using them. Just wondering which product would be better to use. The White Labs vials or the Wyeast "Smack" Packs. I have found plenty of info on how to use these and make several starters from, but am unsure which one is the prefered one.

Thanks for your time

Cheers

Craig

Being in Sydney you'll find that whitelabs are much easier to come by, not sure who if anyone sells wyeast here.

THey are pretty much on par with each other for quality.

Bill at the brew shop at peakhurst sells the wyeast smack packs if thats close to ya,and i would have to agree with timmy they are both good products. occ

The bigger smack packs are designed to pitch directly (but i prefer to make a starter to get at least two brews per pack)
The vials i assume would need a starter made before pitching, but I have had no experience with them yet.
Especially if fairly fresh liquid yeasts should give you vastly different flavour opportunities to the included sachets with cans of goo.

tangent said:
The bigger smack packs are designed to pitch directly (but i prefer to make a starter to get at least two brews per pack)
The vials i assume would need a starter made before pitching, but I have had no experience with them yet.
Especially if fairly fresh liquid yeasts should give you vastly different flavour opportunities to the included sachets with cans of goo.
[post="104079"][/post]​
The White Labs tubes are pitchable. However, I prefer to make starters. You need to decide if you want to do that or not though.

As others have said they are both good quality. If you are able to choose between the two then select the yeasts that sound like they will give the results ou are looking for.

Aaron said:
tangent said:
[post="104079"][/post]​
The White Labs tubes are pitchable. However, I prefer to make starters.
As others have said they are both good quality. If you are able to choose between the two then select the yeasts that sound like they will give the results ou are looking for.
[post="104085"][/post]​

All the above is good information. I usually split the Wyeast into 5 starters to stretch out the $$$. If you can get hold of a tube or starter of CL270 Australian Ale from here grab it with both hands. Just sampled my last brew made with this yeast & it's a ripper.

:beer:

if you don't to have to make a starter use the wyeast smack pack. But either way they are both good.

I tend to use wyeast because it's what my brew shop stocks. I always make a starter the day before brewing.

Bought an out of date Wyeast (1/2 price @ G&G) They had a 1335 English Ale II, and I thought I'd give it a try.

So I popped it and the next day it was half swollen. Could have left it another day in the pack, but poured it into about a litre of wort made from 125g dry extract. It didn't show much action. There was a little row of tiny bubbles around the top (in the meniscus) for a couple of days.

Made another wort, and got 2 rows of bubbles in the meniscus.

Made yet another wort (same - 125g in 1 litre) and how about that after 3 hours. I took this picture about 1/2 hour past its peak, and it's just starting to subside.

Three days later (second picture) and you can see how much has settled. There's no need to step up into the big jar - Already have enough for 4 brews. That's 3 brews and a starter for another 4.

I could brew all year on a $7.50 yeast. Probably cost a bit in extract though.

3hours.jpg

3days.jpg

TidalPete said:
If you can get hold of a tube or starter of CL270 Australian Ale from here grab it with both hands. Just sampled my last brew made with this yeast & it's a ripper.

:beer:
[post="104090"][/post]​

Have you used the coopers bottle yeast before? If so, do you find it differs from this yeast?

Thanks for the help guys... I think I will definately give the liquid a go. I just hope that I can make a few starters from it, that way I get my money's worth. nothing worse than spending $15 odd dollors to find out that you could have made it stretch over a few brews.

How long will starters last in the Fridge?

Cheers

Craig

I find that the starters will last a fair while in the fridge under wort, I get at least 6 months out of em, longer than that, some of em go bad (turn a black-ish colour). I am turning to storing them under sterilised water, so there is no alcohol there for them to possibly go bad in, cause maybe that is it. I think I read Chiller say (in his marvellous yeast farming article) that he has used yeast that was kept under sterile water for 3 years, and he had no probs starting it up.
All the best
Trent

Latest posts

Back