Light Or Midstrength Recipe Suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnight Brew

Reaction score
Hey Hey

Dont want this to cause a stir amongst brewers who hate low carb and light beers but I want to brew one for those Sunday laid back afternoons where i'll switch on the footy and have a few brews.

I'm open to both Mid strength and Light homebrew recipes as I've had a good look on this site and have not found alot of information cause I'm not sure it's too popular. Not a big fan of darker beers so looking for something like a lager or an light ale.

Kit n Kilo or extract recipes are good cause that is how I will make it (sorry got no room to go into all grain :( ) but yeah open to suggestions and things you've tried before. Please any information will be helpful.

Cam

Nothing wrong with mid and light beers. Not for me personally however as I decided long ago that life is too short to drink light beer and I have now reached the age when I'm congratulating myself on being right :p

However lo carb is a different matter altogether, the commercial ones are made with industrial enzymes etc.

For a K n K however I have made some lighter brews for visitors and lawnmowing purposes. Here's a reasonable one from last year in my K n K period:

Morgans Queensland Bitter tin
300g LDME
500g Brew Enhancer 2 - half the pack in other words
Cluster hop teabag used as directed
Morgans kit yeast.

Turns out a tad under 4%. The Morgans regular yeast is ok if you ferment below 20 degrees but if you want something cleaner, sub a packet of US-05. And if the recipe grabs you, it's a good idea to get a 90g shrink of Cluster hops from a sponsor for a quarter of the price of buying teabags.

:icon_cheers:

I've made a very tasty brew that came out at ~ 4%. The second time I made it I reduced the water because I wanted to increase the alcohol content, but you could add a bit more water if you want < 4%.

coopers mexican cerveza kit
2 x 454g tins of Lyle's golden syrup
250g crystal malt
20 g of chinook - dry hopped in secondary

I used the kit yeast and made it up to 21L. The OG was 1036. FG 1007.

This is a very easy drinking beer. You just get a hint of sweetness from the golden syrup.

I vote for an English mild brown ale or an Ordinary bitter. These are easy with some grain and some extract and english hops.

Perhaps try the new Coopers tin and add 500g DME, 100-200g crystal, ferment with S04 or Windsor and add a bunch of dry hops like EKG or Styrian Goldings. I'd drink that.

ED: you could also try adding a little chocolate malt as well to take it into mild territory

If you're after a fairly low alcohol beer with some body try Windsor yeast. Works best in an ordinary bitter.

Edit: What Bizier said....

There is nothing wrong with Light or Low alc beer, in fact it is more of a challenge to make than "full strenght"..

English mild is my fav, coming in at about 3.2-3.5 %, still full of flavour and tasty hops.

You can still get all the flavour, with the " sh1t I am pissed " factor :)

Docs yardglass session lite, great beer, brew it all the time.

Its in the database.

Cheers

Phil

I've made a very tasty brew that came out at ~ 4%. The second time I made it I reduced the water because I wanted to increase the alcohol content, but you could add a bit more water if you want < 4%.

coopers mexican cerveza kit
2 x 454g tins of Lyle's golden syrup
250g crystal malt
20 g of chinook - dry hopped in secondary

I used the kit yeast and made it up to 21L. The OG was 1036. FG 1007.

This is a very easy drinking beer. You just get a hint of sweetness from the golden syrup.

+1 - a very drinkable beer can be made with the coopers cervaza and lyle's golden syrup alone, but some crystal malt and hops would only add to this easy going beer. For lower alcohol, only add one tin of lyle's golden syrup - this is still a summer favourite at my place, and never seen a megaswill drinker turn it down yet, and many prefer it to their own megaswill brand.

Crundle

Back