Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

First run at BIAB - recipe questions

Discussion in 'All Grain Brewing' started by jsp1511, 25/11/19.

1. jsp1511

Posted 25/11/19
    Hey Guys

Finally got my BIAB setup ready to go (ended up getting standard 35ltr digiboil setup) - and think i found a recipe to give a crack.

Have been looking for a mid strength with hop flavour to try over summer - so thought I'd give the BrewDog Dead Pony Club a shot.

Except I'm not 100% on the malts.

Recipe calls for:
    2.79kg of Extra Pale
    150grm of Caramalt
    190grm of Crystal 150

The Caramalt I've found - but I'm not 100% on the Extra Pale and the Crystal 150 (i can find light Crystal, Dark Crystal etc) but nothing with a number reference.

And with the Extra Pale - Is LDME the same thing? Or is there extra pale grain i should be looking for?

Cheers

2. Tomo

Posted 25/11/19
    Hi jsp 1511
    Looks like the malt your chasing is just light malt and most home brew shops or on line stock this.

3. mongey

Posted 25/11/19
    Just use whatever pale malt they have.
    Crystal 150 would be classed as medium crystal

4. jsp1511

Posted 26/11/19
    The other question i had was around the boil time.

My process going to be:
    Mash time of 75 minutes (as per recipe)
    Sparge into food grade pale (with roughly 65-70 degree water) and add to wort

The recipe doesn't actually call out second boil timing - but i'm assuming i boil for another 75min and add hops as per recipe?

5. mongey

Posted 26/11/19
    Standard boil will be 60 minutes.

I have done just under 30 biab batches and have messed with sparging and haven’t found much benefit from the extra work. I just do full Volume mashes. Pull out the Bag and let it drain then start the boil. I do a mash out at 75 for 10 mins after mash so that may help.

download one of the brew apps. It will help sort out your hop additions and Ibu’s.

6. jsp1511

Posted 27/11/19
    When you say "mash out" - i take it you mean mash period is 75min, pull the bag out, and then boil for a further 10min without the bag.

then start 60min boil for hop additions?

7. Schikitar

Posted 27/11/19
    With BIAB you don't need to do a mashout, you can if you want but it's really not necessary. A 75 minute mash is also unnecessary, it won't hurt but again it's just not necessary for a typical brew, most of the conversion happens in the first 30 mins.

Mash in at 2-3 degrees higher than what you want your mash temp to be (eg. mash in at 68 degrees, for a 66 degree mash or whatever the recipe calls for, temps will vary) - then hold that temp for 60 mins. I usually give the grain a good stir at 30 mins and check that the temp is holding. After the mash you can set your kettle to boil, lift your grain bag, let it drain and don't be shy to give it a squeeze and add that back in. You can 'rinse' the grain if you like but I would only use a couple litres at around 70-75 degrees (give or take). Wait for your wort to reach a rolling boil and then start your 60 minute timer and add your 60 minute hop additions (if any), follow your hop schedule through until flameout. The rest from there is whirlpool, chilling the wort etc.,

One thing I would say is record all your numbers in detailed notes. The initial amount of strike water, the pre-boil volume (what you have left after removing the grain), then the post boil volume (remembering that hot wort is a little expanded), and then your chilled volume and finally fermenter volume. From these you can calculate your future water volumes, boil off rates, kettle losses etc., a little better. Also take pre and post boil gravity readings. Detailed notes on everything will help you (and us) identify any mistakes and make corrections for future brews.

I've got my last BIAB brew happening this weekend, doing a NZ-hopped hazy pale recipe I built, then I'll be getting a Brewzilla for xmas! ;)

SKBugs likes this.
  8. mongey

Posted 28/11/19
    Mash is 60 or 90 depending on recipe and mash temp. I raise to 75 with the bag on for 10 mins while stirring.
    Options Online vary how usefull it is but I feel it may loosen up some extra sugar so I just do it

After the mash out I let the bag drain , I have a big strainer that sits over my Pot that I can rest it in.once it slows to just drips I kick in the heat and bring it to a boil.

60 min boil starts once the boil hits and the hot break dissipates.

9. SKBugs

Posted 3/12/19
    This is one of the easiest and simplest explanations for BIAB that I have come across yet. I have also just moved to BIAB, with a 50 litre keg with the top taken off.
    It is hard to understand what is necessary for a good brew with a BIAB, compared to the 'traditional' setup with all the tuns and sparge arms and lautering things and other 'stuff'. It is beyond the pale (ale) for me I am afraid.

I just want to brew a good honest beer, and I think this is a very good explanation of a mash. Thanks,

Schikitar likes this.
  10. SKBugs

Posted 3/12/19
    Do you recommend a particular App for BIAB specific brews?

11. mongey

Posted 4/12/19 at 1:19 AM
    I own a few of them but I like brewers friend. It’s simpler , without allot of features of the others but i don’t really need all the bells and whistles.

12. Skillz

Posted 4/12/19 at 1:48 AM
    I'm happy with brewfather.

SKBugs likes this.
  13. Schikitar

Posted 4/12/19 at 2:18 AM
    I use BrewersFriend personally, but there are many others like Brewfather and various titles with "brew" in their name. That said, if you want something cheap and relatively easy, IanH's spreadsheet is pretty great for BIAB and I used this when I started and it never let me down - https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/biab-beer-designer-spreadsheet.55955/

SKBugs likes this.
  14. SKBugs

Posted 4/12/19 at 4:24 AM
    I've seen Brewer's Friend but will have to look at Brewfather. I have also just downloaded the Ian's spreadsheet. Looks pretty swish - he's done a good job for it to still be current however many years later.

Thanks

Schikitar likes this.
  15. Schikitar

Posted 4/12/19 at 10:06 PM
    Good luck with it, hit us up if you have anymore questions!