Light Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enuun

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I put down one of these and the first taste was... well... here's the recipe

1 x Coopers Australia Pale Ale
500g Briess malt
250 Crsytal 10l+40l (My LHBS ran out of 40l crystal so they gave me for free what they have left roughtly 100g)
1kg Dex + malto enhancer mix
US-05
12g EKG 10mins
12g EKG dry hop

OG: 1052
2 days: 1032

Does this recipe have conflicting flavours or aroma profiles?
It does not fit into a specific style but I was trying to create an English IPA with the bite of the Coopers PA
especially loved the taste of Greene King IPA and Wychwood's fiddlers elbow both UK Pale ales

Any thoughts to help me improve my next batch greatly appreciated.

Cheers

The only thing i could think of is that the Coopers Pale Ale base is probably hopped with an Australian hop (pride of ringwood?)
That with the EKG could be a little conflicting in taste and aroma, but certainly not in a terrible way.

I wouldn't be concerned by taste when you're only two days into the brew, still alot to happen between now, bottling and drinking :)

I would ditch the dex/malto mix and do all malt and maybe a little bit of dex. So 1kg malt and up-to 500g of dex as this will give it a bit more body as the more dex you add the thinner the beer tastes. Dex only adds alcohol and you can use grains that act like maltodextrin without the soapy taste such as carapils.

Next change the yeast you S04 or Windsor as these are more aimed at the British Ales and can impart a fruityness when fermented a little warmer.

The kit can is quite low bittered and with the crystal grain and malt will lower that bitterness considerably so Id up the amount of hops and consider a bittering addition to even out the bitterness. Calcing with the ingredients gets around 18-20 IBU which is quite low for an EIPA which is around 40-60 if keeping to style.

So here is my estimate recipe

Coopers Australia Pale Ale
1kg DME
0.3kg Dextrose
250g Crystal
200g Carapils
30g EKG 4.7%@ 60 Mins
15g EKG 4.7%@ 10 Mins
20g EKG dry hopped

If you want a bit more alcohol id add a little more DME upto maybe 1.5kg and ditch the dextrose which will get a similar OG to your last brew. At 23l it will be around 37IBU which is almost double your current so should pack more and even out the sweetness. Mmmm I love EKG. Saying that you could sub the 60min addition of EKG with something a little higher in AA which would reduce the amount of grams you have to use to get a decent bitterness.

thanks guys
I hope it will turn out alright.
my first foray away from cascade

I back up the change of yeast and put in a plug for Windsor (I am not a fan of S04). If you can splash out, the liquids will make it something else.

I used to use a cerveza can for my kit + bits because it has less of that twangy iso bitterness to it, and it is lighter. This means I could play with more spec grains and hops.

My suggestion for a UK IPA, would be to have a 30 min addition for that proper "kettle hop flavour" plus a small dry hop for the nose.

Just jump in, make it twice if the first sucked.

Latest posts

Back