Light APA -Thoughts?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulmclaren11

Reaction score
G'day fellow brewers,

With bub number 2 only a month away I am looking for something lighter to have on tap for the coming months.

I have brewed Smurto's Light Amber which was great so I have heavily borrowed inspiration from that recipe. If I don't have enough Munich I will make up the difference with Vienna.

Any thoughts on how this recipe may turn out or anything that could do with tweaking? Anyone had success brewing a full flavoured light APA?

Light Citra/Simcoe APA (American Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.040 (°P): 10.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.016 (°P): 4.1
Alcohol (ABV): 3.09 %
Colour (SRM): 10.8 (EBC): 21.2
Bitterness (IBU): 27.3 (Average)

47.06% Munich I
14.71% Pale Ale Malt
14.71% Pilsner
11.76% Wheat Malt, Dark
5.88% Caraaroma
5.88% Carapils (Dextrine)

0.2 g/L Simcoe (12.2% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
0.8 g/L Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.8 g/L Simcoe (12.2% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Simcoe (12.2% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)
0.4 g/L Simcoe (12.2% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

0.0 g/L Whirlfloc Tablet @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
Single step Infusion at 70°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes
Fermented at 20°C with Danstar Windsor

Looks excellent. I would consider brewing Windsor at a lower temp, if you don't want so many "english" esters. I personally am quite happy with clean yeast in my US beers, but tastes vary.

Good luck with bub 2. I can't remember if I drank a thin for the first 3 months of bub 2, so I reckon if you can get something sorted, good on you.

I personally wouldn't use Windsor with this one. I would want either s-05 or BRY-97 if going dry. Or better yet 1056at 17-18oC. Just be careful with Windsor as it can finish high if you aren't careful.

GalBrew said:
I personally wouldn't use Windsor with this one. I would want either s-05 or BRY-97 if going dry. Or better yet 1056at 17-18oC. Just be careful with Windsor as it can finish high if you aren't careful.
I think that's the idea - to finish high to allow for lower abv%

That assumption being the case, I would be bumping up your IBU. Probably another 10IBU at least. But that again, is my taste.

On the Lord Nelson Citra Cascading out of this Galaxy Pale Ale, there is a brew (angus_grant), who accidentally brewed at 71 degrees. He keg hopped to compensate for the increased body (I think his finished at 1.018 or .020 or something like that). He still complained it was pretty sweet, but better for the keg hop.

Thanks for the feedback.

I will drop the ferment temp to 18c - I think for my first attempt at this lighter style I will run with the Windsor yeast as I have it on hand and I don't want to end up with a watery beer/thin beer with a low FG which I think I would get from US 05? (I use dry yeast). I will rouse (swirl) the fermenter daily to try and keep the Windsor ticking over.

If it ends up with a higher FG but still tasty I will be happy (my light amber was about 2.8% and people didn't believe me when they tasted it).

I think I will try and tweak this recipe around in the coming months with different yeasts as a decent light APA would great as my house beer (no hangovers and a happy wife).

In terms of not drinking for 3 months Lord Raja, your starting to scare me now! I know I will need to cut back (which I have started doing as I am on baby watch) but 3 months without a beer - well done!

Currently in the middle of my bi-annual "month off". But not kid related.

I think the thing is, when you're on "I could be driving to the hospital" time, you tend to reel it back a bit. And afterward, the lack of sleep is bad enough without trying to think through beer. "waaah, I need tit" in the middle of hop induced fog isn't much fun.

Mine were (well 3 of them were) sleeping at around 3-3.5 months. The 4th was about 5 months, but I wasn't able to brew, so I didn't have much to drink until after that.

For the beer, seriously, if you like your APA, then bump up the IBU. You need something to counter the extra sweetness and body. If you like "hoppy" rather than bitter, make the extra IBU a 10 minute (assuming chiller) addition, and if you prefer a bit of balanced bitterness, make it a 30 minute (again, chilling) addition. If you no-chill, then make the 10 minute a 0 minute (or methode argonaise) and the 30 minute a 10 minute.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
I think that's the idea - to finish high to allow for lower abv%

That assumption being the case, I would be bumping up your IBU. Probably another 10IBU at least. But that again, is my taste.

On the Lord Nelson Citra Cascading out of this Galaxy Pale Ale, there is a brew (angus_grant), who accidentally brewed at 71 degrees. He keg hopped to compensate for the increased body (I think his finished at 1.018 or .020 or something like that). He still complained it was pretty sweet, but better for the keg hop.
I would personally start with a lower OG and ferment out to 1.010. I find a mid-strength pale ale quite nice with a dry finish. I guess the FG of 1.016 escaped me previously. I would mash a tad higher, for a little extra body, but I have found that Windsor can leave too many simple sugars behind. Just my personal preference.

I also think if style-wise you are aiming for an APA, a dry finish is the way to go.

GalBrew said:
I also think if style-wise you are aiming for an APA, a dry finish is the way to go.
This I agree with from a personal preference point of view. I tried to perfect a low abv % APA, and just wasn't happy.

Having said that, I was loathe to push an APA above about 40IBU, but I really reckon you'd need a massive amount of hop bitterness just to counter the body.

This is the problem I've always had with making low abv% versions of a beer style. Something has to be compromised, and if you don't get it right, it isn't fun to drink.

If it were me, I'd probably have a crack at making an "Americanized" Mild.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Currently in the middle of my bi-annual "month off". But not kid related.

I think the thing is, when you're on "I could be driving to the hospital" time, you tend to reel it back a bit. And afterward, the lack of sleep is bad enough without trying to think through beer. "waaah, I need tit" in the middle of hop induced fog isn't much fun.

Mine were (well 3 of them were) sleeping at around 3-3.5 months. The 4th was about 5 months, but I wasn't able to brew, so I didn't have much to drink until after that.

For the beer, seriously, if you like your APA, then bump up the IBU. You need something to counter the extra sweetness and body. If you like "hoppy" rather than bitter, make the extra IBU a 10 minute (assuming chiller) addition, and if you prefer a bit of balanced bitterness, make it a 30 minute (again, chilling) addition. If you no-chill, then make the 10 minute a 0 minute (or methode argonaise) and the 30 minute a 10 minute.
Yes couldn't think of anything worse that a hangover with 2 kids on the go!

What IBU would you recommend? I have upped it to just over 30 IBU. I like your comment about an 'Americanised' mild - I guess this is what I am aiming for. I know this is not going to be a typical APA, I want something with body but with those awesome US hops.

My amber attempt was around 27 IBU from memory and finished about 1016 using Windsor and was nicely balanced for my tastes. I guess this recipe just won't have the roast from choc malt used.

I make a few lighter style mids. Usually use a much simpler grist and try and keep the IBUs to around 30. Have never used windsor yeast but have made quite a few with US05. Very drinkable. If you are mashing at 70 you don't need to mash for 60 mins. 30 mins should be plenty of time.

For my tastes, and body aimed at 1.016, I'd be at 40 IBU, given it's windsor.

I generally aim at 30-35 for a balanced APA with US05, and finishing around 1.008-1.010.

But again, it'll be a personal thing. Maybe aim at 32 and tweak from there.

My comment about the times you're adding stands - it'll depend if you like hoppy "fruit salad" or hoppy "balanced bitterness".

Thanks all, will give this one a whirl with Windsor at about 30-32 IBU and tweak from there.

What's the worst that can happen? I make beer :super:

Latest posts

Back