Lhbs: "dont Go On The Internet"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brewers are mainly nerds mate. Some old crusty tradies and a few ex-chefs followed by an over representation from the nerd community.

They can hardly ask a girl out, let alone take a shop assistant to task for discourtesy.

Speak for yourself.
I had to stop calculating the differrential volumes using pi r- squared x depth for my ghetto muscmeister build, vessel within a vessel, wipe my browe with my blue terry towling wife basher singlet, shuffle my Blunny's to one side and put down my exquisitely home made duck confit with home grown orange sauce and a cinnimon swizzle stick to respond to your outragous claim.
I'll let you know that i always talk to girls... on the internet... you are just generalising so much!

You didn't think that posting a thread about a well known HBS and hinting fairly clearly at which one it might be, would create a shitstorm?

I think it's good that you kept it anonymous and think that should have been respected throughout but you can't really think the reaction is unbelievable unless you've only just recently been introduced to the internet.

If so - welcome to the internet.

Well what would be the point of the post if i took out all descriptive elements regarding the store. I just wanted people to know what i thought they were pushing. if i didn't say where, there would be no point saying it at all.

The original responses were a little different to the latter ones, I found out there were opinions on the store in both good and bad. Just like reviewing a product i guess.

You didn't think that posting a thread about a well known HBS and hinting fairly clearly at which one it might be, would create a shitstorm?

I think it's good that you kept it anonymous and think that should have been respected throughout but you can't really think the reaction is unbelievable unless you've only just recently been introduced to the internet.

If so - welcome to the internet.
I dont see a shit storm just AHB predictable banter. Different day same shit. Suggestion to the OP "don't have an opinion people dont like it". :icon_cheers:
Nev

I second that. He's the guy that got me going in the beginning. A quiet one but worth listening to. Very helpful in the store - as was Dan. Not sure if he still works there part time since getting the new brewing gig.

Is it Dan that ended up brewing with JS?

Top bloke if so.

Not sure about trading hours legislation in Vic.
There are rules about which types of stores, floorspace etc... that mean many businesses have been unable to open the hours they wanted in SA for many years.
Hell, Harvey Norman couldn't open there electrical section on Sunday until quite recently here. Don't know how many times Iwalked through the furniture displays and then found I couldn't enter the electrical goods part of the store.
Sunday is actually classed as a Public Holiday, hence penalty rates.
Just a thought.
Nige

Agreed but my comparison is based on when the average person has the time to be shopping and brewing/gardening/handymanning etc.

I'm Doing some handy man task on weekend and oh sh*t i need nails or whatever, i pop down to bunnings/mitre 10 etc.
If I need a bit of tubing or ran out of HB caps, i can't pop down to G&G

I get they want to be home on a sunday but its a retail business. biggest retail trade is weekends.

I didn't mean to say they should be open 7 days a week, just that they could be like a lot of restaurants and make monday or tuesday their closed day/days.

EDIT: and yes i should be more organised I know :D

@ gryphon: I mean internet shitstorm. You know the ones. With lolpoo and ffshit.

Synonymous with predictable banter, really.

What I mean is the reaction, given the nature of the format/media, is not surprising.

I am surprised that someone else is surprised.

on a slightly different angle. When the OP recieved unfavourable service he could have done what I normally do, not go back and the proprietor might never know. At least in this instance there has been someone who has moved the issue on to the releveant people. This might be an opportunity for the business owner to make changes/review procedures that they might not have done without this sort of intervention. Criticisms quite often arent all bad, it's just often how the reciever views them when it comes to their business. My opinion is don't slay the OP, he possibly thinks he's just putting a point of view out to the brewing mates. I doubt he is out to bring a business to its knees, which I'm also quite sure won't happen.

My 2c only

bah

@ gryphon: I mean internet shitstorm. You know the ones. With lolpoo and ffshit.

Synonymous with predictable banter, really.

What I mean is the reaction, given the nature of the format/media, is not surprising.

I am surprised that someone else is surprised.
Yep, I see your point but it a unforgivable thing on this forum to have an opinion. It was going good as usual and as the night gets longer ................
Poor old OP now feels hes the one thats wrong ??
Nev

Girls don't like vegetarians.

Girls dont like pale.

Well, Vegetarians are pale.... and weak....

But again, I would hate to generalise any type of life style....

In particular the go to bed early, got up early "Paper Boy'?

I mean seriously?

People. ****!

It's a pity that a man ( and yes we know who it is ) and a business are getting flamed on here . Riggers has , for the best part of 20 years supported home brewing with judging , entering comps , providing feedback...Sometimes , yes , he is not always seen as approachable . I can't defend him on that one , but he is actually a good man . As for grain and grape , shame on you who seek to punish John Preston and his store because of one employee...John is one of our biggest supporters. , one of the brains behind ANHC , and a man who is so generous to all brewers , brew clubs and people that it is beyond a joke. He supports you in ways some of you don't even know....it's a shame his business is getting penalised....
Ferg
Secretary
Westagte
And yes , I am a mate of Riggers

@GB:

Round and round it goes. I don't think he did wrong but I don't think he should be surprised at where the thread ended up either. I am assuming the poster is he and apologise profusely if it's a she.

I do think people with complaints should get in touch with the business before posting complaint threads but the title was not "insert Business name is fucked - never buy there" as is often the case. The OP was fine but it's not unbelievable that it's run the entire gamut. Anyway, it will be good to get and give feedback from and to the LHBS owner tomorrow. Nothing like discussing stuff with people one on one. You'd appreciate the same for your business I'd presume GB?

At everyone else: Yarbles. Great big bollocky yarbles to you.

Omg. What a crock of shit this thread. It's like people can't deal with a shopkeeper with a bit of a personality!
Seriously. For the record, the few times I was in that shop I never had much trouble with said guy. If I don't like his advice I ask someone else. It's as simple as that.
The number of times I've heard the 'wrong thing' that goes totally against my common sense and research shoul mean I shouldn't buy from mostly anywhere. Heck, stop brewing. Ive even pulled out my phone and googled stuff standing in a brewshop (generally any shop) when I don't quite agree with what's being said.
Honestly, you people are just soft. Nerds that can't tell a retailer to stick it!? made me laugh. If you stand there not even 10% sure of yourself, of course the shop will tell you what they want to sell. Next time do your homework before you go.

Girls dont like pale.

Well, Vegetarians are pale.... and weak....

But again, I would hate to generalise any type of life style....

In particular the go to bed early, got up early "Paper Boy'?

I mean seriously?

People. ****!

I thought you were going a bit soft there for a while cocko ... that's better
cheers
BBB

@GB:

Round and round it goes. I don't think he did wrong but I don't think he should be surprised at where the thread ended up either. I am assuming the poster is he and apologise profusely if it's a she.

I do think people with complaints should get in touch with the business before posting complaint threads but the title was not "insert Business name is fucked - never buy there" as is often the case. The OP was fine but it's not unbelievable that it's run the entire gamut. Anyway, it will be good to get and give feedback from and to the LHBS owner tomorrow. Nothing like discussing stuff with people one on one. You'd appreciate the same for your business I'd presume GB?

Mate nothing against you but there are a few of us that have seen lots of things in our lives and feel a need to have an opinion, as far as business goes I get what I dish out, my customers know that as well as I do. They have an opinion I may have a differing one. either way at the end of the day there is no bad feelings, right ? Its business.
Nev

Glad I don't work for a home brew shop, tough enough getting performance appraisals from the boss let alone a community of online strangers.... :ph34r:

@GB:

Yeah, i don't really give a shit anymore. the bloke didn't say it to me, so why should i care right?
I think ill just go back to lurking like i've done for the past year.

Fwiw i didn't get surprised by any of the responses (why the hell would i?), I thought this thread was dead and end of story after you contacted the owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back